Fellowships and Gap Year
Many organizations in the U.S. and abroad offer short-term work opportunities for new and recent grads, experienced alumni, and undergrads. These programs range from a few months to two years and go by many names: fellowship, internship, apprenticeship, assistantship or term of service. Graduating students sometimes call them gap-year programs, or short-term experiences they pursue before starting graduate/professional school or another job.
Fellowships may involve
- Work experience
- Career training
- Graduate study
Programs cover a variety of issues, including (but not limited to)
- The environment
- Health care
- Human rights
- Peace and security
- Public policy
Opportunities often provide a stipend or salary, health benefits and student loan assistance. Carefully review all requirements, benefits and any costs before you apply.
Resources for Finding Fellowships, Service Programs, and Gap-Year Opportunities
- Jumbo Jobs: Search by position type for Fellowships and Post-Grad Internships
- Undergraduate Education Scholarships & Fellowships: Some fellowships and scholarships require nomination or endorsement from Tufts, and these opportunities have Tufts-specific deadlines. Examples include: Marshall Scholarship, Mitchell Scholarship, Rhodes Scholarship and Truman Scholarship
- Spotlight on Careers: Subscription resource featuring gap year programs, fellowships and scholarships. (Off-campus username: spotlightpass, password: liberalarts2017).
- Careers A-Z: The Career Center's recommended sites for researching careers and finding jobs
- Diverse Opportunities Newsletter: Career Center publication that lists scholarships, fellowships and internships for diverse students and alumni
- Idealist.org: Jobs, volunteer opportunities, and organizations in the nonprofit sector. Consider well-known fellowships for domestic and international programs, some of which are open to undergrads
- Nationally Coveted Scholarships, Fellowships & Awards: Listings organized by interest area, affinity group, and educational level
- Tisch Library Resources: Review the library database for directories with fellowships, internships and scholarships
- CoolWorks: Seasonal jobs and outdoor/environmentally-focused positions with camps, national parks and resorts
- Backdoorjobs.com: Short-term jobs in the US and abroad