Tips for Graduate Students
Grad Career Services
for Grad Students in Arts & Sciences and Engineering
Tufts Career Center | Dowling Hall 740 | 617.627.3299
We offer advising, workshops and resources to help you set career goals & develop strategies and skills to achieve them. Review the information below for upcoming programs, highlighted resources and information to help you in an academic job search.
Interested in exploring non-academic career options? VPhD helps graduate students identify, prepare for, and excel in possible non-academic careers. The site includes content for humanities, social sciences, and STEM fields. You'll have access to the career finder as well as real-life examples of Ph.Ds, ABDs and MAs who pursued non-academic careers. You'll get their stories, advice, inside information about their fields, and even the actual resumes and cover letters they used to get their first non-academic jobs. You also get access to the community discussion forums, a member directory listing thousands of PhDs working across the United States, job listings, and great information about a wide variety of possible careers.
Log into Jumbo Jobs, then click on Resource Library and then the Versatile PhD link to access this resource.
Light meal included with all programs
Monday, March 27, 6 - 8pm, Dowling, Milmore Room
Refine your interviewing skills for general as well as behavioral questions.
Career Conferences and Fairs
Preparing for a Career Outside of Academia
Thursday, February 23, 3 -7pm, 51 Winthrop
This half-day conference will include a networking workshop, resource demo, career panels, and advice from experts.
Network with Alumni
Engineering Networking Night
February 2016, Date and Time TBA
- Career Talk: Use Your Summer Wisely
- Landing Your First Job
- The Quick and Relatively Painless Guide to Your Academic Job Search
- Brown University Academic Job Market Resources
- Princeton Academic Job Search Toolkit
- UCSD Academic Job Search Survival Handbook
- The Chronicle of Higher Education (Vitae)
Writing Teaching Philosophies & Research Statements, Preparing a Teaching Portfolio
- Writing a Philosophy of Teaching Statement
- Writing a Teaching Statement
- Four Brief Prompts for Writing Teaching Statements
- Definition, Content, Format & Sample Research Statements
- Strategies for Writing a Research Statement
- The Teaching Portfolio: A Handbook for Faculty, Teaching Assistants and Teaching Fellows
- Developing a Teaching Portfolio
Preparing for Interviews
The Chronicle of Higher Education offers valuable advice for the academic job seeker. Consult the following articles and search by by keyword for more advice.
- A Guide to Campus Interviews
- A Foot in the Door at a Small Liberal Arts College
- A New View on Interviews
- Asking the Right Questions
- How to Handle Difficult Interview Questions