Complete Payroll and Get Paid

Tufts Payroll Policies

The majority of the students employed by the university are hourly employees who are paid on a weekly basis.  You will only be paid for the hours you actually work. You will not be paid for holidays, lunch hours, sick days, or vacations.

New Hire Onboarding

Once your Department has entered a job for you, if you have never worked at Tufts before, you will be required to complete the New Hire Process through Employee Self Service (eServe). This tip sheet will help guide you through the online process, including adding or changing Direct Deposit or W-4 deductions. Also note that if you are a RE-hire and it has been more than 3 years since you originally completed an I-9 verification, you will need to redo this process. The creation of this eServe account will also give you access to your paycheck information and your W-2 tax information late in the year.

Submitting Your Hours

Submit your hours to your supervisor on a weekly basis.  Otherwise, how will Tufts know how much to pay for your good work?

Monitoring Your Earnings

You will receive a paper paycheck the first one or two times you are paid, even though you have established a direct deposit account. This is because of the time needed to verify your bank account status. Click here for more information on how to get your paycheck. All subsequent paychecks will be directly deposited into your designated bank account and you will receive an electronic notice of deposit in your Tufts email account.


FICA (Federal Insurance Contribution Act or Social Security and Medicare Taxes) is a required employment tax.

Academic Year - A Tufts student registered for classes and working for Tufts is exempt from FICA taxes during the academic year, while working on campus. Students working in an approved off campus work-study organization will be subject to FICA taxes because they are not working for the university. Off campus employers are also charged the matching employer cost of FICA (7.65% - 2017).

Non Academic Year (summer break) - During the non-academic months, student payments of wages are subject to FICA unless the student is enrolled in class with less than 5 weeks break in between classes.


Both the Federal and State governments require the university to withhold and submit income tax withheld from an employee's paycheck. The amount of tax withheld from your paycheck is based on your W-4 marital status and allowances claims. Your W-4 election corresponds with the appropriate amount of tax to be withheld based on the agency's tax tables. The amount withheld will offset the amount due when you file your personal income tax return.

W2 – Statement of WagesThe W-2 form is a summary of taxable wages earned and taxes withheld to the appropriate tax agencies during the calendar year. Taxable wage is a calculation of your gross wages less pretax deductions plus taxable benefits. The forms are made available on eServe by January 31 of the following year.


Foreign students may be exempt from FICA and withholding taxes. All foreign national employees must submit an application (and treaty statement if applicable) in order for Tufts to determine how to properly withhold the individual taxes. Employees will be contacted by TSS after completing section 1 of the I-9 with further instructions.

Foreign national employees who are wholly or partially exempt from withholding taxes and have signed an 8233/W-9 will receive a 1042 statement. The 1042 will state the taxable wages that are exempt from withholding. Any partial wages subject to withholding taxes will be reported on the W-2. Students may receive an additional 1042 which will cover their reportable scholarship, fellowship, awards or prizes.

For foreign students, the International Center has tax prep software to assist you with filing your tax return with the Federal and State governments. Additional information about the web based software is located on the International Center website.

Please note that Tufts cannot provide advice or assistance in completing tax forms. The International Center and Tufts Support Services are not in a position to offer tax advice. If you have specific tax questions or concerns, you will need to contact a tax professional (either a Certified Public Accountant or Tax Attorney). Other tools to assist you in filing your taxes are the Internal Revenue Service website and the Massachusetts Department of Revenue website.