Administrative Support

Lab or Blood Work

For your convenience, Health Service can draw samples and perform laboratory work on site, even if it is ordered by your private clinician.

Hours for private clinician lab drawing:

  • We do not draw private clinician labs on weekends or holidays
  • We open 10 minutes after Health Service opens and close 30 minutes before Health Service closes. For Health Service hours please visit our page.

If you need information about how these services are billed to the insurance company or to the patient, please refer to Billing information.

Tests Ordered by Providers outside of Health Service

If your medical provider is outside of Health Service and you would like to have us collect the specimen here we can do it as a courtesy to you and send it to Quest Diagnostics for processing. We have included a form that you can use with your provider.  Please make sure to include the following information:

  • Exact test names and frequency, should be indicated on a prescription with the patient’s name and date of birth.
  • Diagnosis with CPT code must be included for billing purposes.
  • The ordering physician needs to be a U.S. physician. Please include their name, address, telephone number, fax number and NPI number.
  • Communicating Test Results: Quest will fax the test results to the ordering provider.  Our office will not be able to provide results to patients.
  • We need a copy of your insurance card front and back in order to process the lab order.
  • If you are a provider and need to talk to Quest about results you can call 1-866-697-8378 (1-866-MYQUEST).

Medical Illness Documentation Policy

Health Service provides "Medical Notes" in only limited circumstances. Students who are temporarily too ill or injured to take an in-class mid-term or final exam will be offered medical documentation. They must be seen prior to the exam and must notify their professor prior to the exam. These guidelines do not apply to those with documented disabilities who have been granted academic acommodations by Student Accessibility Services.  For more information you can access the Medical Illness Documentation Policy provided by the Office of Academic Advise and Support. 

All other academic responsibilities that cannot be met due to medical illness should be communicated directly between student and professor, using the "Illness Notification Form" that is available in SIS. To access the Illness Notification Form, log in to SIS, click on "Student Living" and choose "webcenter" from the drop down menu.

Illness Notification Forms should be used for the following circumstances, but do not serve as excuses for these:

  • Missed classes
  • Missed Labs
  • Missed Seminars
  • Missed Quizzes
  • Papers that Need to be Delayed
  • Oral Presentations
  • Take Home Exams

Students having any issues with implementation of this policy, or problems making up work missed due to illness, should contact their Advising Dean for assistance.

Obtaining Medical Records

For your convenience, Health Service can provide you or a third party with copies of your protected health information. Students who would like to take advantage of this service should complete and sign our Authorization to Release Medical Records form and bring it to the front desk in Health Service (124 Professors Row) or fax to 617-627-3592.  

Obtaining a Physician Referral 

Health Service is here for your day-to-day health care needs. If you need care from a specialist, we can refer you to a qualified professional. If you have student health insurance through Tufts, you will need a referral from Health Service to authorize the specialist visit. If you have already seen the outside provider or have any other questions call our business office for more information.

Find a local specialist for a medical condition:
  1. Look up specialists on your insurance company’s website. The URL should be printed on your insurance card. You can search by type of specialist and by town or state.
  2. Call 617-627-3350 or come to Health Service. We have a list of local specialists our students have used. This is not an all-inclusive list but it is a good place to start.

Preferred Name Change

Contact Mary Daley or Susan Keating in Health Services to have your preferred name updated in your electronic medical record.

To have your preferred name updated in SIS, the Tufts Directory, and/or other University systems, please visit Tufts Techonolgy Services Preferred Name Change page for comprehensive instructions. 

Prescription Medication

The clinicians at Health Service can prescribe medication if you need it. If you get a prescription through us, you will  select a pharmacy and we will transmit the order to them electronically. If you prefer, we can give you a hard-copy prescription to take to your pharmacy in person.

  • Your co-pay, the percent of the overall cost of the drug you are responsible for, depends on your insurance.
  • The co-pay for any given medication will be the same at every pharmacy.
  • When the pharmacy fills your prescription, they will submit the information electronically to your insurance company.
Inman Pharmacy Delivery Service

Many students use Inman Pharmacy for its  convenient delivery service. Inman Pharmacy is an independent pharmacy in Cambridge that fills and delivers prescriptions to Health Service on the Medford/Somerville campus. The pharmacy makes between daily deliveries during Health Service hours of operation.

To process your prescription, Inman Pharmacy will need your insurance information and a credit card to which the co-pay can be charged.

Inman Pharmacy provides this delivery service as a convenience to the students. If you use this service, any communication is strictly between you and the pharmacy. Tufts University is not responsible for providing payment information or collecting payment for services or products. Once the prescription leaves the pharmacy it cannot be returned. Deliveries of prescriptions are made to Health Service on a pre-arranged schedule.

Inman Pharmacy

Phone: 617-876-4868
Fax: 617-547-9521
Address: 1414 Cambridge Street, Cambridge MA

Other Local Pharmacies

Rite Aid Pharmacy
Monday through Saturday - 9 a.m. to 9 p.m., Sunday 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Davis Square
393 Highland Avenue, Somerville
617-776-7730 (phone) / 617-776-2372 (fax)

CVS Pharmacy
7 days a week - 8 a.m. to 9 p.m.
1 Davis Square
Somerville, MA 02144
617-629-4156 (phone) / 617-629-4758 (fax)

CVS Pharmacy
7 days a week - 24 hours a day
Wellington Circle, at the intersection of Routes 28 and 16 East
590 Middlesex Fells Parkway, Medford
781-391-2668 (phone) / 781-396-4113 (fax)

Walgreens Pharmacy
7 days a week - 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.
337 Broadway, Somerville
617-776-5104 (phone) / 617-776-7591 (fax)

CVS Pharmacy
Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 10 p.m., Saturday and Sunday 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Magoun Square
532 Medford Street, Somerville
617-628-1401 (phone) / 617-623-8227 (fax)

Translation and Interpreter Services

As part of our Office's mission to help you enhance and maintain your health we understand that also means being able to communicate with your parents, families and guardians. In order to better support the needs of both students and families we offer translation and interpreter services in over 200 languages through Protranslating for those who have questions, concerns or simply want to connect with our office. To request translation or interpreter services please contact our Business Office at 617-627-3350.

翻译服务 (Chinese)

帮助您提高和保持健康体魄是我们的使命之一,我们明白这也意味着需要和您的父母、家庭和监护人沟通。如果您有任何问题、疑虑或是想与我们联系,ProTranslating 公司可为大家提供200多个语种的翻译服务,以更好地满足学生和家庭的需求。若需翻译服务,请与我们的商务部门联系,电话:617-627-3350.

Services de traduction (French)

Dans le cadre de sa mission, laquelle consiste à vous aider à améliorer et à maintenir votre santé, notre bureau est conscient de l'importance de pouvoir communiquer avec vos parents, vos familles et vos tuteurs. Afin de mieux répondre aux besoins des étudiants et de leurs familles, nous proposons donc, par l'entremise de ProTranslating, des services de traduction dans plus de 200 langues pour tous ceux qui ont des questions, des préoccupations ou tout simplement souhaitent communiquer avec notre bureau. Pour demander des services de traduction, veuillez contacter notre bureau au 617-627-3350.

Übersetzungsdienste (German)

Als Teil unseres Anliegens, Ihre Gesundheit zu verbessern und zu erhalten, verstehen wir, wie wichtig es dabei ist, mit Eltern und Familienangehörigen in Verbindung bleiben zu können. Zur besseren Unterstützung der Studierenden und ihrer Familien bieten wir durch ProTranslating Übersetzungsdienste für mehr als 200 Sprachen an, falls sie Fragen oder Sorgen haben oder einfach nur mit uns sprechen möchten. Um die Übersetzungsdienste in Anspruch zu nehmen, wenden Sie sich bitte an unser Geschäftsbüro unter der Telefonnummer 617-627-3350.

Servizi di traduzione (Italian)

Parte della missione del nostro Ufficio è far sì che tu possa migliorare e mantenere la salute. Capiamo pertanto l’importanza di poter comunicare con genitori, familiari e tutori. Al fine di soddisfare al meglio le esigenze di studenti e famiglie, offriamo servizi di traduzione in oltre 200 lingue tramite ProTranslating  per chiunque abbia domande, dubbi o voglia semplicemente rivolgersi al nostro ufficio. Per richiedere servizi di traduzione contattare il nostro Ufficio commerciale al 617-627-3350.

번역 서비스 (Korean)

모든 학생의 건강 관리 및 향상이 최우선 사항인 만큼 저희는 학부모, 가족 및 보호자와의 원할한 의사 소통 또한 아주 중요하다는 점을 잘 이해하고 있습니다. 학생 당사자와 가족의 필요를 돕기위해, 문의 또는 우려 사항이 있으신 경우, 저희는 전문 번역 업체인 ProTranslating 에 의뢰하여 200여 이상의 언어로 번역 서비스를 제공해 드리고 있습니다. 번역 의뢰를 원하시면 저희 사무실(전화: 617-627-3350)로 연락해 주시기 바랍니다.

Servicios de Traducción (Spanish)

Como parte del objetivo de nuestra Oficina para ayudarle a mejorar y mantener su salud, entendemos la importancia de la comunicación con sus padres, familiares y tutores. A fin de brindar un mejor apoyo a las necesidades tanto de los estudiantes como de sus familiares, ofrecemos servicios de traducción en más de 200 idiomas a través de ProTranslating a quienes tengan preguntas, inquietudes o simplemente deseen comunicarse con nuestra oficina. Para solicitar servicios de traducción, comuníquese con nuestra Oficina Comercial al 617-627-3350.

Tuition Insurance (Optional)

Undergraduate students who leave the University during the first six weeks of classes are eligible for a refund of a percentage of tuition in accordance with the schedule set by the Bursar. There is no reimbursement after the sixth week, unless someone has purchased optional tuition insurance. Students with questions should contact Student Services.

Students who are on leave are not charged tuition and fees and are not eligible for stipends.

2016-2017 Tuition Refund Plan Information