For your convenience, Health Service can draw samples and perform laboratory work on site, even if it is ordered by your private clinician.
Hours for private clinician lab drawing:
- Academic year: Monday‐Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- During school breaks and the summer holiday: Monday‐Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- We do not draw private clinician labs on weekends or holidays
If you need information about how these services are billed to the insurance company or to the patient, please refer to Billing information.
If your medical provider is outside of Health Service and you would like to have us collect the specimen here we can do it as a courtesy to you and send it to Quest Diagnostics for processing. We have included a form that you can use with your provider. Please make sure to include the following information:
- Exact test names and frequency, should be indicated on a prescription with the patient’s name and date of birth.
- Diagnosis with CPT code must be included for billing purposes.
- The ordering physician needs to be a U.S. physician. Please include their name, address, telephone number, fax number and NPI number.
- Communicating Test Results: Quest will fax the test results to the ordering provider. Our office will not be able to provide results to patients.
- We need a copy of your insurance card front and back in order to process the lab order.
- If you are a provider and need to talk to Quest about results you can call 1-866-697-8378 (1-866-MYQUEST).
For your convenience, Health Service can provide you or a third party with copies of your protected health information. Students who would like to take advantage of this service should complete and sign our Authorization to Release Medical Records form and bring it to the front deask in Health Service (124 Professors Row).
Obtaining a Physician Referral
Health Service is here for your day-to-day health care needs. If you need care from a specialist, we can refer you to a qualified professional. If you have student health insurance through Tufts, you will need a referral from Health Service to authorize the specialist visit. Call our business office for more information.
Find a local specialist for a medical condition:
- Come to Health Service. We have a list of local specialists our students have used. This is not an all-inclusive list but it is a good place to start.
- Look up specialists on your insurance company’s website. The URL should be printed on your insurance card. You can search by type of specialist and by town or state.
To have your preferred name updated in SIS, the Tufts Directory, and/or other University systems, please visit Tufts Techonolgy Services Preferred Name Change page for comprehensive instructions.
The clinicians at Health Service can prescribe medication if you need it. If you get a prescription through us, you will select a pharmacy and we will transmit the order to them electronically. If you prefer, we can give you a hard-copy prescription to take to your pharmacy in person.
- Your co-pay, the percent of the overall cost of the drug you are responsible for, depends on your insurance.
- The co-pay for any given medication will be the same at every pharmacy.
- When the pharmacy fills your prescription, they will submit the information electronically to your insurance company.
Many students use Inman Pharmacy for its convenient delivery service. Inman Pharmacy is an independent pharmacy in Cambridge that fills and delivers prescriptions to Health Service on the Medford/Somerville campus. The pharmacy makes between daily deliveries during Health Service hours of operation.
To process your prescription, Inman Pharmacy will need your insurance information and a credit card to which the co-pay can be charged.
Inman Pharmacy provides this delivery service as a convenience to the students. If you use this service, any communication is strictly between you and the pharmacy. Tufts University is not responsible for providing payment information or collecting payment for services or products. Once the prescription leaves the pharmacy it cannot be returned. Deliveries of prescriptions are made to Health Service on a pre-arranged schedule.
Address: 1414 Cambridge Street, Cambridge MA
Rite Aid Pharmacy
Monday through Saturday - 9 a.m. to 9 p.m., Sunday 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
393 Highland Avenue, Somerville
617-776-7730 (phone) / 617-776-2372 (fax)
7 days a week - 8 a.m. to 9 p.m.
1 Davis Square
Somerville, MA 02144
617-629-4156 (phone) / 617-629-4758 (fax)
7 days a week - 24 hours a day
Wellington Circle, at the intersection of Routes 28 and 16 East
590 Middlesex Fells Parkway, Medford
781-391-2668 (phone) / 781-396-4113 (fax)
7 days a week - 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.
337 Broadway, Somerville
617-776-5104 (phone) / 617-776-7591 (fax)
Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 10 p.m., Saturday and Sunday 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
532 Medford Street, Somerville
617-628-1401 (phone) / 617-623-8227 (fax)
The Office of Student Success and Advising also offers Financial Resources to assist students with medical costs.