Living Accommodations

Types of Living Accommodations

If you have a disability, you may wish to request accommodations for your on-campus living space. Accommodation requests need to be submitted, reviewed, and updated yearly.

Please note that all first-year and sophomore undergraduate students are required to live on campus, unless you register as a commuting student. This is in compliance with the two-year Tufts residency policy.

Living Accommodation Overview

If you are an undergraduate or graduate student with a documented disability (temporary or permanent) requiring an accommodation, you may request housing accommodations to meet your needs. Student Accessibility Services (SAS) will determine if an accommodation is appropriate and will work with Residence Life once a decision has been made. Submit applications for living accommodations by March 15th, if you are a current student, and June 1st for incoming freshman and transfer students for the upcoming academic year. 

We can only grant accommodations when the following conditions are met:

  • You can provide detailed documentation by a qualified clinician indicating you have a disability or illness that requires an accommodation.
  • You are deemed eligible to receive an accommodation due to a disability based on a review of your documentation and additional information.
  • The proposed accommodations are necessary to ameliorate the affects of the condition and are reasonable. Possible accommodations might include a special room assignment (such as a first-floor room), permission to install air conditioning, or in very rare cases, a single room. On-campus housing is limited at Tufts. For this reason, a single room assignment is only granted to students for whom no other accommodation is deemed reasonable, and only when available.

How to Request a Living Accommodation

Process for Requesting a Living Accommodation

Complete the Student Accommodations Needs Form, which can be done online. You will also need to obtain specific supporting documentation from a qualified clinician. The clinician should complete the Physician Verification of Disabilities Form. We do not accept documentation from parents who are physicians and we do not accept a simple statement that a specific request is medically necessary.

Please make sure to return your completed medical documentation and all pertinent forms to the SAS office by the appropriate deadline:

·Returning students who already have housing accommodations in place and are seeking the same accommodations for the 2017-2018 academic year must meet with an SAS staff member by February 1, 2017

·Returning students seeking new housing accommodations for the 2017 – 2018 academic year must submit their information by February 1, 2017

·Incoming new students seeking housing accommodations (including air conditioners) for the 2017 – 2018 academic year must submit their information by June 1, 2017.


Students should also complete all housing forms required by the Office or Residential Life and Learning. You may more information about what is required here:

Once we receive this information:

  • SAS will review your documentation and request. In some situations, we may request a further review with a university clinician or staff member.
  • We will contact you to set up an appointment to meet with an SAS representative.

Accommodation room assignments are based on the accommodation need and the availability of space in the residence halls. Accommodation requests that are received after the deadlines above will be reviewed, but limited by space availability. The Office of Residential Life and Learning will notify you of your assignment in writing or by telephone.