Furniture Modification

Furniture Modifications Overview

On occasion, students with medical conditions may request a modification to the standard furniture supplied in their residential room. Health and safety concerns dictate that these requests be handled in a structured way. Standard residential furniture includes: an extra long twin-size bed frame with mattress, desk, chair, and dresser for each occupant. For more information on residence halls, please see visit the Office of Residential Life and Learning.

Process for Requesting a Furniture Modification

If you would like a modification to the furniture in your room, please follow these steps:

  • Complete the Student Accommodations Needs Form.
  • Ask your health care provider to complete the Physician Verification of Disabilities Form, providing specific and detailed information. We do not accept documentation from parents who are physicians.
  • Submit both forms to the Student Accessibility Services (SAS) office. We will evaluate your documentation for completeness and appropriateness.

Once we receive your documents:

  • Your information will be presented to the university’s Health Accommodation Committee. The committee meets once a month, depending on the time of year.
  • The committee will decide whether your request is necessary and reasonable, based on the information presented.
  • SAS will notify you in writing of the outcome of your request.