Read About a Student Experience

Gianna

A dark haired woman smiling at the camera posed looking over a chair back.
  • Academic Year: Freshman
  • Major: Undeclared
  • Campus involvement: Burlesque troupe, Spoon University
  • Disability: Crohn’s disease
  • Accommodations: Single room, The ability to take breaks during class, Extended time on exams

Impact of her disability on her college experience:

“I take so much time because I have to do an hour of wound care every day which meant that I wasn’t able to have a roommate this year. I have met a friend who also goes to SAS for her diabetes and we have gotten close through that because we both have similar situations. I have accommodation letters to give to professors that explains things, luckily I haven’t had to use them yet but they are there if I need it. Especially with the unpredictability of Crohn’s disease you just never know what could happen when.”

Advice for students with disabilities:

“Use all of the resources that you have and make sure that your health comes first. During my first week of school it was hard to remember to take all of my medications but if I didn’t do those things I won’t be able to participate. My body changed so much after getting diagnosed with Crohn’s disease; so I signed up for the Burlesque troupe. I forced myself to do it and it was such a good decision it is about body confidence and the girls are so nice.”