Housing Selection Policies

Information for Transgender Students: Open Housing Policy

Residential Life and the Director of the LGBT Center will work with students who identify as transgender to accommodate the student's housing needs. Tufts has an open housing policy, which means we don't use gender as a determining factor for housing arrangements, and students are free to create living situations that work for them. Sophomores and up can live in any configuration they choose regardless of gender. For incoming first-year students, singles are available on request. We are committed to working for students to give them a good ResLife experience. If you are an incoming student who has questions about your housing, email Hope Freeman, LGBT Center Director, or Yolanda King, Director of Residential Life.


Rising Juniors and Seniors may request to be placed on a waitlist if they are not able to select a room during the lottery.  Students on the waitlist are on the list by order of their lottery number and class year.  The staff will contact students via email to either select online or accept a specific room assignment from ORLL.  We typically do not accept waitlist requests for students that wish to move to another building or a single room during the housing lottery.

5th-Year Numbers

Only students who are enrolled in a 5th year/dual degree program are eligible for a 5th-year lottery number (9,000 range).  If you are a senior who needs more time to complete your degree, you will be assigned a lottery number in the regular senior range of 8,999 – 7,500.  Seniors must make this request to the ORLL as soon as possible.

Students who are Planning to Transfer

If you have applied to other schools and are thinking about transferring, we ask that you do not participate in the housing selection process. You are guaranteed housing if you are a rising sophomore. If you decide not to transfer you will still get on-campus housing.  Any student who is considering transferring and signs up for housing will have until May 30th to cancel in order for all housing charges and the $750.00 commitment fee to be fully refunded.

Students Studying Abroad

Fall Study Abroad 

  • If you are studying abroad for the Fall Semester 2017, do not sign up for Fall Housing.  A room for Spring 2018 will be assigned before the start of Spring 2018.  You must file a Study Abroad Leave of Absence form with the Office of Undergraduate Studies no later than April 15, 2017.

Spring Study Abroad

  • If you are studying abroad for only the Spring Semester 2018, proceed with the lottery as normal.  To avoid the cancelation fee, you must file a Study Abroad Leave of Absence form with the Office of Undergraduate Studies no later than November 30, 2017If you do not cancel your housing by the deadlines listed above, you may forfeit the return of your commitment fee as outlined in the terms of the housing agreement.
Medical or Personal Leaves of Absence

Students who are on medical/personal leaves cannot participate in lottery unless they have been cleared to return prior to the start of housing selection.  Once a student has been cleared by the Dean’s Office to return, ORLL will work with them on a housing assignment.

Housing License Agreement, Billing, and Commitment Fee

When you go into the Housing Management Portal to sign up for housing, you will be able to read the terms and conditions for signing up for a room for the academic year. Once you have thoroughly read the agreement you will be required to check the box to confirm before you can continue.  There are some important pieces of information to note:

  • The housing agreement is for the full academic year (both Fall 2017 and Spring 2018) unless you are studying abroad.
  • The housing agreement contains the residency dates for 2017-2018 in regards to when a student can move in and out of the halls.  These dates will always be posted on our website and in the guide to living on campus.
  • Housing charges are billed in two parts: a $750.00 housing commitment charge in addition to the room charge, which is the total for living on campus each semester.
  • A housing commitment charge of $750.00 that is part of the overall room charge is non-refundable for any student-initiated cancellation at any time during the semester.  Exceptions apply to students who are studying abroad and who are transferring and meet the cancellation deadlines as outlined in this booklet, the housing agreement, and Habitats. 
Vacancies and Room Consolidation

If a vacancy occurs in your multiple-occupancy room, you, as the remaining student, will have the following options:

  1. You will have 72 business hours to pull in a new roommate who is already assigned a space in on-campus housing.
  2. You may receive a new roommate assigned by ORLL from the waitlist or who is an incoming transfer student.
  3. For those who are unable to pull in another roommate in the allotted 72 business hours, ORLL may consolidate students who have vacancies in their rooms to reside in the same building, which can occur during the semester, winter recess, or summer months.
  4. We will post all available vacancies in multiple-occupancy rooms in the Harleston Hall office. The student will be able to move without receiving permission from the current occupant of the room.  As a courtesy, we will contact the student in advance regarding the new roommate.

Discouraging potential room/suitemates from moving into the vacant space or interfering with the housing placement process in any way is considered a violation of residential community standards.  Any student who visits a potential new room assignment is expected to be welcomed by the current resident without any suggestion that the space is not available.

Any student found responsible for this type of behavior will be required to meet with a University Administrator.

Fraternity and Sorority Housing

A fraternity or sorority chapter house is defined as a residential unit affiliated with Tufts University where all of the residents are members of a Tufts University recognized Fraternity and Sorority as defined by the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life (OFSL). Sophomores can fulfill their on-campus housing requirement in any of the houses as long as the house meets the requirements set forth by the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life. Housing assignments go directly through the organization and are reported to the OFSL. All sophomores intending to live in a fraternity or sorority house, regardless of type of house, are required to fill out an Intent to Live in Fraternity or Sorority Housing form, available at the Residential Life Office. This form must be turned into the OFSL by March 1, 2017

General Housing Policies