Location: Oxford, England
Program option: academic year
The University of Oxford, with 12,000 undergraduates and 10,000 graduate students, is now over 800 years old and consists of thirty-eight independent, self-contained, self-governed colleges and numerous other institutes and organizations. Tufts maintains an agreement with Pembroke College, through which a select few qualified Tufts students may spend an academic year as fully integrated visiting students. Pembroke College was founded in 1624 and has a student body of 500. It is a friendly and informal college that emphasizes intellectual activity, but also values sports, drama, and music. (Pembroke has its own boathouse and playing fields.) There are numerous clubs and societies organized by Pembroke students.
Resident Director: Simon J. Steel, B.Sc., Physics & Astronomy, Sussex University; P.G.C.E., Physics Education, University of Oxford; M.A., Physics, Brandeis University; Ph.D., Astrophysics, University College Dublin.
Students wishing to apply to Pembroke College must show college-level course work in the subject they wish to pursue there and meet the general eligibility requirements. Additionally, each applicant is required to have a minimum 3.7 cumulative grade point average (on a scale of 4.0) after two semesters at Tufts. Pembroke will accept applications only from students who are prepared to study in one of the academic areas listed under ‘Academics’.
Additional Application Procedures
In addition to the usual study abroad application process, you must submit the following items to the Office of Tufts Programs Abroad by December 1, 2016 (for the 2017-2018 academic year):
- A completed Pembroke College Visiting Student application form, available at the Office of Tufts Programs Abroad.
- Two letters of recommendation from full-time members of the Tufts faculty, submitted on department stationery to the Office of Tufts Programs Abroad. Both recommendations should be from the Tufts department corresponding to the subject you wish to study at Pembroke.
- Two term papers or other pieces of work in the subject you wish to study at Pembroke.
Tufts will select nominees to submit to Pembroke. Pembroke, in turn, will choose the candidates to study at Pembroke for the 2017-2018 academic year, depending on the availability of spaces in the various academic disciplines. This process may take two to three months.
$65,996 for the academic year includes:
- Orientation program.
- Full tuition and fees at Pembroke College of University of Oxford.
- Accommodation within Pembroke College (academic terms only).
- Weekly cost-of-living stipend to cover meals (academic terms only).
- Use of the University of Oxford facilities including computers, email, and library access.
- Extracurricular activities.
- A "Clubs & Societies" stipend to support membership in the Oxford Union or other fee-based student groups.
- Opportunity to attend plays, concerts, operas, and group meals in London with Tufts-in-London students (subsidized tickets are provided).
- Subsidized day and weekend trips as indicated under “Student Activities.”