Report a Concern With a Student

Report a concern about a student

Anytime you are concerned about a student, please contact the appropriate office.  Our teams are available to consult with you and, as appropriate, provide direct outreach and support to students.

Life Situations and Personal Concerns

If a student has experienced a life situation that is causing distress or interfering with their daily performance, contact the Office of Student Outreach and Support (617-627-3158, Life situations might include housing or food insecurity, the death of a family member or friend, a hospitalization, or a significant physical or mental health challenge. Signs of a life situation might include unexplained changes in what you observe from a student—for example, a change in mood or attitude during class discussion or inconsistent attendance without explanation. Student Outreach and Support can consult with you and offer relevant assistance directly to the student.

Students in Distress

The Counseling and Mental Health Service has created a guide for faculty and teaching assistants on how to recognize, engage with, and referring students who are in distress. We encourage you to read their publication: How to Help Students in Distress: A Guide for Tufts faculty and teaching assistants.

If you have an emergency, you can reach a counselor on call or the Student Affairs Dean on Call 24/7. Call Tufts Public Safety at 617-627-3030 and ask to be transferred to the Counselor on Call or the Dean on Call.

Academic Misconduct

Per a 2006 faculty vote, instructors are required to report suspicions of plagiarism, cheating, and other forms of academic dishonesty to the Office of Community Standards. The Community Standards team will then work with the faculty to investigate the situation and, if appropriate, will contact the student(s) involved. We encourage you to review our academic misconduct policies and resources.

Behavior Concerns

In addition to resolving reports of academic misconduct, Community Standards can help you address other concerns about a student’s behavior when that behavior has possibly violated university policy or caused conflict. Such concerns might stem from issues of safety, threatening behaviors, harassing behavior, conflicts with peers, or another area. 

Academic and Classroom Concerns

If you have a student who stops attending class, has a sudden change in academic performance, or otherwise has academic challenges, please contact the appropriate Associate Dean of Undergraduate Education for undergraduate students. If you are concerned about a graduate student, contact the Office of the Dean of Student Affairs.

You should not talk to parents about their student’s performance in your class. If a parent contacts you directly, refer them to the Associate Deans of Undergraduate Education