Faculty Resource Center

Are you an faculty member with a question about student resources, processes, or policies at Tufts? Are you looking to support an Arts & Sciences, SMFA, and/ or Engineering student? We've collected a number of frequently asked faculty questions below, along with links to common resources, to help you navigate everything from academic advising to health and wellness. 

Don't see your question?  Contact us!

Supporting Students with Disabilities

The StAAR Center values the diverse educational and cultural experiences of every student and promotes access to an inclusive and collaborative learning environment. As a team and as individuals, we foster students’ educational growth and awareness, self-advocacy and resiliency as it relates to their Tufts academic experience and beyond. Our initiatives engage students, faculty and staff to proactively support the learning needs of the Tufts community.   The StAAR Center offers a variety of resource support to all students in the Schools of Arts and Science, Engineering, the SMFA and Fletcher.

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I have a list of all of the students in my class?

Unfortunately, no. SAS is unable to provide you with a list of all of the students in your class who receive accommodations because it is up to the student to decide if they want to use their accommodations or not. If we provided a list, we might accidently “out” students with regard to their disability statement who might not otherwise want you to know that they have a disability.

Students who want to use their accommodations are strongly encouraged to either hand you a letter or email it to you. Until they have done that, you are not responsible for providing those accommodations.

Students must also remind you before the exam -- not the day of the exam -- that they’d like to use their accommodations.

What is “reasonable” versus “unreasonable”?

Even though students with disabilities are entitled to accommodations, they must still use them appropriately. This does not mean asking for exam accommodations the day of the exam, or asking for an extension on an assignment after the due date past. You do not, and we encourage you not to, support these requests.

What do I legally have to do?

Legally, you need to provide the accommodations listed in the students accommodation letter. If you feel that the accommodation listed may fundamentally alter the nature of your course, or that it impacts the goals and objectives of your course, then you should contact SAS immediately to talk through other options for the student.

What should I put in my syllabus?

We strongly encourage you to put our disability statement on your syllabus. This provides direction for students who may need guidance in finding SAS.

Depending on your preference, you may also wish to include a sentence about how you want to receive student accommodation letters, printed or emailed.

Are accommodations retroactive?

Accommodations are not retroactive. Students should not receive their accommodations until they provide you with an accommodation letter from SAS outlining what they need. SAS makes it clear to students that accommodations are not retroactive.

What is the deadline for registering for accommodations each semester?

There is no hard deadline for students to register for and receive their accommodations. Accommodations are not retroactive and we make that very clear when we see students. However, students may register with SAS through the last week of classes. This does not necessarily mean that they will and can receive accommodations in time for exams.

What do I do if a student gives me documentation from their doctor?

We encourage you not to accept their documentation from a student’s doctor, but instead encourage the student to take their information to SAS or their Advising Dean (Liberal Arts BA/BS, Liberal Arts BFA, or Engineering). SAS or the Advising Dean will determine what supports the student needs.

Do I have to proctor all of the exam accommodations?

Ideally, yes. SAS has 6 one-person rooms and limited staff to assist you with your proctoring needs. While we realize space is a premium at Tufts, we are not equipped to proctor all exams for students who have accommodations. Faculty should at a minimum proctor all extended time accommodations. This might mean starting the exam early or staying late if the classroom is available. If not, it may mean moving students to another location after the exam ends. Your department assistant should be helpful in these situations.

Who do I contact with questions or concerns about supporting students with disabilities or the accommodations process?

If your student has given you an accommodation letter, please call SAS: 617-627-4539. If the student has not given you an accommodation please connect with their Advising Dean (Liberal Arts BA/BSLiberal Arts BFA, or Engineering).

How do I incorporate Universal Design in my class?

Universal design is a wonderful opportunity to offer all of your students diverse methods of interacting with the course curriculum. Please contact Kirsten Behling to talk one-on-one about strategies available specifically to your course.



See Student Accessibility Service's Faculty Webpage

Supporting LGBTQ Students

The LGBT Center is located on the 2nd and 3rd floor of Bolles House on the Medford/Somerville campus. The Tufts’ LGBT Center has a peer leadership group that provides mentors for first year students, 8 identity-based affinity groups, and an LGBT staff and faculty caucus. The Tufts’ LGBT Center provides various resources, both on and off campus, for undergraduate students, graduate students, staff, faculty, and alumnae.

Frequently Asked Questions

Does the LGBT Center provide support for the Grafton, Boston, and SMFA campuses?

While the LGBT Center is situated on the Tufts Medford Somerville campus, we are happy to provide support and locate resources for any student, staff, or faculty member on any campus. Be sure to check our website to see of your campus has an LGBT group.

Does the LGBT Center provide workshops for Faculty and Staff concerning LGBT issues?

The LGBT Center Director provides in person support to anyone in the Tufts community that wants to make their programming, events, and/or curriculum more inclusive of LGBTQ communities. The Director works closely with departments to provide Best Practices that inform and uplift interactions with LGBTQ people. The LGBT Center is always looking for the chance to work intentionally with the Tufts Community to create learning opportunities specific to what the community is experiencing.

What resources does the LGBT Center have?

The LGBT center has a computer lab, printing, and an LGBT specific library on our third floor. The LGBT Center also has a conference room and living room on the second floor with plenty of space to meet for groups or to study.

Why does Tufts have an LGBT Center?

The Tufts LGBT Center was founded in 1992 and originated from student protest. Students felt there was not enough access to LGBTQ specific resources and demanded that the institution provide a space for them. In trying to further understand the needs of LGBT students particularly those on college campuses, the LGBT Center has been used to support students on fostering a sense of belonging, safety, and inclusion.

What are some resources for trans and non-binary students?

The LGBT Center has many affinity groups that are peer led and attended by students with lived experiences of being trans and non-binary. The LGBT Center has also identified and worked with providers in Health and Wellness (CMHS and Health Services) that are well versed on trans and non-binary health issues. The Director works closely with trans and non-binary students to find resources that best support them; from advocacy with faculty and staff to finding social resources off campus in the Medford/Somerville and Boston area.

Where can I go if I want to learn more about pronouns?

There are many resources available online if folks want to learn more about the importance and appropriate use of pronouns. The Director is happy to talk with anyone interested in being more inclusive and mindful of how to best support and respect students and colleagues particularly in classrooms.

What does the LGBT Center Director do?

The LGBT Center Director seeks to assesses and improve campus climate for LGBT students, faculty, and staff working across departments and offices; Residential Life and Learning, Student Information Systems, Health and Counseling Services, Admission, Facilities, Academics, Registrar, and Career Services. The Director also counsel’s students, faculty, staff, and administrators in conceptualizing and executing academic, social, community, and policy building.


Supporting Student Health and Wellness

Health and Wellness at Tufts includes Health Service, Counseling and Mental Health, the Office of Health Promotion and Prevention, and a Business Office which can help answer questions about Health Insurance. We provide comprehensive and integrative health and wellness care to help all undergraduates and to graduate students who have paid the Health Fee enhance and maintain their physical, social and emotional health. We offer free, respectful and confidential primary medical care, mental health care, preventive services and health promotion to help our diverse student population achieve their goals inside and outside the classroom.  

Frequently Asked Questions

Do you see faculty and staff? Why not?

We do not see faculty and staff. Health and Wellness is a service that is funded by the student health fee.

Marathon Health is a facility on campus for staff and faculty located at the Tisch Athletic Center. 

I teach in the evenings. What are the resources available? What are the appropriate channels of communication?

If you teach outside Health Service and CMHS normal business hours, you can refer your students to the following resources:

  • When Health Service is closed, students can call our nurse advice line for help and direction. Call the main number for Health Service, 617-627-3350, and listen for the prompts for the nurse advice line. In a serious emergency, call TUPD: 617-627-6911.
  • CMHS After Hours: contact Tufts University Police at (x73030), and they will connect you to the COUNSELOR-ON-CALL 5 p.m. to 9 a.m.
I am worried about a student. Is there someone I can talk to?

If you would like to consult, you can always call CMHS at x73360. We are more than happy to talk to faculty and staff about their concerns. You can also speak to someone in the Dean of Student Affairs Office if you have a concern about a student. Call x73158.

What is Kognito?

Kognito is an online educational program designed to teach faculty, staff, and student leaders about mental health. The platform has been used by over 100 colleges and universities, training almost 60,000 faculty and staff and 2 million students. It is available to all members of the Tufts community. 


Students came to me to say they are worried about a friend. I tried to give them advice but worry I said the wrong thing?

Showing concern and listening is a sign of strength and caring. If they want to talk further or have concerns about a friend’s safety, please reach out to us immediately CMHS (x73360) or DOSA (x73158).

Sometimes students come in coughing and looking really sick in class. Is it okay if I tell them I’d rather they didn’t come to class when they are that sick?

That is up to you and your policy. We encourage students not to go to class if they are sick, especially if they have a fever or might be contagious. We encourage you to do the same.

I have a policy that a student needs a note if they miss class. I sent someone to the Health Service and they said they couldn’t get a note.

When students want a note for a missed class, we direct them to What if I Need to Miss a Class? This page explains the policy. Health Service only provides medical documentation if a student is too ill to take an in-class mid term or final exam. For all other academic obligations including missing a class, needing an extended deadline for a paper, missed labs, take home exams and projects, students are directed to communicate directly with their faculty. 

Can I get a flu shot at the Health Service?

The flu vaccine we offer is only for students. Be on the lookout for flu clinics offered by Tufts Human Resources. Also, many insurance plans will cover flu shots offered at local pharmacies.


Teaching and Academic Advising

The Associate Deans of Undergraduate Advising support students and faculty in the schools of Arts and Sciences and Engineering. The Deans help students navigate course selection, manage their progress toward graduation, explore possible majors, and connect students to university resources and co-curricular opportunities. Additionally, Advising Deans help with discussions about academic difficulty, extended absences/leaves, and policies related to curriculum and graduation requirements.

Associate Deans of Undergraduate Advising
  • Matthew Belloff, Liberal Arts BA/BS Students F–L and C–E (effective April 23, 2021): 617-627-3767
  • Stephanie Frazitta, Liberal Arts BA/BS Students M–R and B (effective April 23, 2021):
  • Robin Olinsky, Liberal Arts BA/BS Students S–Z and A (effective April 23, 2021), SMFA and NEC Combined Degree Students, Students participating in domestic exchange programs: 617-627-0723

If you ever have any concerns about a student, it is best to contact their Advising Dean who can assist you or direct you to the appropriate resource.

Frequently Asked Questions

What do the Senior Academic Advisors do, and how can I contact them?

Our Senior Academic Advisors (Liberal Arts BA/BS and Engineering) help first-year and sophomore students with course exploration, campus life questions, and major exploration. They also help connect students with University resources and co-curricular opportunities. Students can make appointments with their Senior Academic Advisor online. Faculty can reach them via e-mail or by phone.

A student tells me they cannot afford my textbook. What should my next step be?

If you have extra copies of the textbook you can share with students, that is always a good first step. Referring them to the books you place on reserve in the library would be the next option. They can also utilize our Book it Forward Library. For more specific questions, do not hesitate to reach out to us.

How do I add a student who is not registered for my class?

If a student has been attending your course all semester but is not on your roster, you can use the Enrollment Correction Form to add them to the class. This is found on SIS under Faculty Forms. 

What do I do if a student says they dropped my class but they are still on my roster?

If a student is still enrolled in your class but they say they dropped the course and never attended or submitted work, you can use the Enrollment Correction Form to drop them from the course. Please note that retroactive withdrawals are not permitted. This is only for students who never attended or submitted work. The Enrollment Correction Form is found on SIS under Faculty Forms. 

What should I do if a student has significant absences?

There is no official university attendance policy, but you may outline such policies for your individual course or department. It is important to have those clearly stated on your syllabus. The first step is to be sure that students understand your policies. We suggest clearly reviewing your syllabus the first day of class. Advising Deans will help facilitate conversations about attendance policies and the impact on a student’s academic performance, however, we cannot force students to withdraw from your course. In those instances, we will work with you to determine the best course of action.

What should I do if a student says they are too sick to take an exam?

Policies regarding student illness can be found here. We encourage you to outline your missed exam policies in your course syllabus.

What should I do if a student gives me a doctor’s note from healthcare providers outside of Tufts’ Health Services?

Faculty should not accept medical documentation or other communications from outside providers. Students with such documentation should be referred to their Advising Dean.

I received an email from an Advising Dean requesting flexibility on behalf of a student. What does that mean?

Advising Deans request flexibility for various reasons such as bereavement, serious short-term illness (e.g., mono, pneumonia, concussions), a family emergency, first time mental health challenges, hospitalization, sexual misconduct, travel and weather related delays, citizenship/naturalization hearings, and jury duty.

Generally, Advising Deans do not request flexibility for job interviews, athletic competitions, conferences, or minor short-term illness. Flexibility can include an excused absence from class, an extension on an assignment deadline, rescheduling an exam, or granting an Incomplete. Flexibility is not a requirement and is requested as a courtesy to the student. The Dean takes some of the burden off the student, informs the professor of a student’s need, and ensures some consistency by only requesting flexibility for reasons beyond a student’s control that rise to a certain level of seriousness. Ultimately, it is your decision whether or not you want to provide the flexibility. See SAS Accommodations vs. Dean’s Request for Flexibility in the Resources section below for more information.

What should I do if a parent contacts me?

Advising Deans serve as the point of contact for parents; faculty and advisors should not speak directly to parents. You should redirect the parent to the appropriate Advising Dean (Liberal Arts BA/BS, Liberal Arts BFA, or Engineering).

What should I do if I want to give a student an Incomplete?

Incompletes should only be given if a student has completed the majority of work in the course, was on track to pass the course, and it seems reasonable that any remaining work can be finished in a timely fashion. Please note that Incompletes should not be granted because a student has missed a significant number of classes or assignments and you do not want to fail them. Please speak with the student’s Advising Dean if that is your situation; there are alternatives to an Incomplete.

If you are giving an Incomplete, please fill out the Incomplete Form (found on SIS under Faculty Forms). Please be sure to specify the deadline for submitting the work. The standard deadline is 6 weeks into the following semester, but you may set the deadline before or after this. We encourage students to finish their Incompletes before the start of the next semester because it becomes difficult for students to manage finishing an Incomplete while engaged in a full course load. Grades should be changed within 2 weeks after receiving a student’s work (instructions for changing grades can be found here).

After 6 weeks into the following semester the Incomplete becomes a Permanent Incomplete. Whether or not you will still accept work after that point is at your discretion, but please consider the likelihood that the student will actually submit their work. If you decide not to accept work after the established deadline then the Incomplete can remain a Permanent Incomplete (no GPA impact, no credits earned, and students will graduate with it on their record). Alternatively, you can assign an appropriate letter grade (such as a D or F) based on the student earning a zero on the work they were supposed to submit. See Understanding Fs, Is, and NGs in the Resources section below for more information. 

How can I support students who are struggling?

While we encourage faculty to be empathetic and supportive of struggling students, all students can benefit from clear expectations, deadlines, and consequences. Clearly outlined policies on syllabi can be extremely helpful to students and allow us to help ensure consistency when supporting you and students. See End-of-Semester Scenarios and Advising Dean Recommendations in the Resources section below for more information.


See Undergraduate Education's Faculty Engagement Website

Supporting First-Generation Students

The FIRST Resource Center, located on the 3rd floor of 20 Professors Row, aims to create a community of support and to develop a network for first-generation students at Tufts. The Center welcomes any student who self-identifies with the first-generation college student experience, and aims to ensure they are empowered and prepared to reach their full social, professional, and academic potentials. FIRST works to provide financial knowledge, general information about navigating Tufts, and access to opportunities and resources so that students can be successful during their time at Tufts and beyond. The FIRST Center believes it is imperative that first-gen students are provided an inclusive space that is considerate and sensitive to their intersecting identities, and where their shared experiences can be validated and celebrated. 

Frequently Asked Questions

Where is the FIRST Resource Center and when is it open?

The Center is located at 20 Professors Row, Medford MA. It is on the third floor and shares the building with the Office for Residential Life (1st floor), Center from Stem Diversity. FIRST is open during regular business hours.

Does the FIRST Resource Center support students on the Grafton, Boston, and SMFA Campuses?

The FIRST Center welcomes all students who identify with the first-generation student experience at Tufts University.

Does the FIRST Center have a director? Who do I contact if I have a question?

The Center is run by the FIRST team, who focuses on the empowerment and support of first-gen students, as well as students with other marginalized identities. The FIRST Center also includes peer leaders and other students at Tufts who support first-gen students in various capacities.

What types of programming does the FIRST Center offer?

FIRST focuses on developing programming that facilitates the transition to college for first-generation first-year students. The Center’s programming and workshops build skills all students at Tufts need in order to succeed, including financial management, time management, and curriculum-skills that are not necessarily taught in classrooms but are gained through experience.

What is the F1R$T Seminar?

The F1R$T Seminar is an advising seminar for first-generation, low-income students. This seminar focuses on supporting first-year students' their transition to Tufts, while exposing them to resources and opportunities aimed at their academic, professional, and personal development. Students are invited to enroll into the F1R$T seminar prior to completing the pre-major advising survey.

Why do first-gen students need a seminar? Shouldn’t they integrate into other first-year seminars with all other incoming students?

First-generation students have different needs than college students whose families are in a position to help them navigate the transition to college. Most students who are the first in their families to go to college lack some insight about how to navigate college in a way that will guarantee them the most success and support. The F1R$T seminar provides first-gen students with the necessary tools to find and utilize resources available for their academic, personal, and professional successes. It also helps create a supportive community for first-generation students at Tufts.

What is BEAST?

Building Engagement and Access for Students at Tufts (BEAST) is a free, 4-day Pre-Orientation program aimed at first-generation and low-income students that focuses on their unique social and cultural experiences. It provide students with guidance on navigating the transition to college and familiarizes them with financial and academic resources, as well as social life at Tufts.

How can I be an ally and advocate for students who Identify as First-Generation?

The FIRST Center will be launching a mentorship program for first-generation faculty, staff, and alumni who would like to have the opportunity to mentor and support first-gen students at Tufts. The program will create community among first-generation professionals affiliated with Tufts and current undergraduate first-gen students in Liberal Arts, Engineering, and at the SMFA. This mentorship program will give faculty and staff the opportunity to engage with first-gens at Tufts in a supportive and influential partnership.

Are there other Resources for first-gens outside the FIRST Center?

All resources for student support and success are resources for first-generation students. In addition, there are student groups such as Questbridge, the First Generation Student Council, and UIJ that are sensitive to the intersecting identities of first-gen students at Tufts.

Is there any way for me to get involved with the FIRST Center?

If you or your office is interested in partnering on a workshop or program geared to supporting this population, please reach out to FIRST@tufts.edu.


Career Services and Support

The mission of the Career Center is to foster transformational experiences that shape the lifelong professional, academic, and personal development of Tufts students and alumni, and our vision is that every Jumbo is prepared for a lifetime of fulfilling career opportunities.

Our services support undergraduate and graduate students from the earliest stages of career exploration through alumni career management. In one-on-one sessions, our advisors discuss topics related to self-assessment, choosing a major, resumes/cover letters, networking, internship and job searches, interviewing, grad school applications and much more. Daily drop-in hours are also offered in several locations, with no appointment needed.

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I schedule a Career Center presentation during a planned absence from my class?

Yes -- No need to cancel classes! The Career Center offers “Don’t Cancel a Class” programs to cover class time with career-related workshops. Sample topics range from an intro to the Career Center to resumes/cover letters to internship and job searches to interviewing, plus customized workshops.

How do students schedule appointments with the Career Center?

Students can view available appointments and schedule online through Handshake, our career development platform. We also offer drop-in hours every weekday (15-minute quick consults, no appointment needed).

Can you give me some guidance on writing recommendation letters for my students?

The Career Center offers content and formatting tips for recommendation letters, including info about different types of letters and best practices for successful recommendations, as well as sample letters with detailed advice.

Where do graduates from my department go after Tufts?

View Tufts destination outcomes (both employment and grad school, sorted by major) to see where recent undergraduates have landed.

In addition to my department’s resources, how does the Career Center help students find jobs and internships?

Each year, thousands of jobs and internships are posted in Handshake by employers interested in hiring Tufts students. In addition, hundreds of employers attend our fall and spring career fairs and participate in the Campus Recruiting Program. Browsing the Tufts Internship Profile (TIP) Book online is a great way to see the variety of organizations where students intern. View hundreds of internship profiles searchable by industry, type of internship, major, paid/unpaid positions, and more.

Does the Career Center offer internship funding for students?

The Career Center funds 40 - 50 Summer Internship Grants for undergraduates doing unpaid internships for a minimum of 300 hours.


See the Career Center's Faculty Webpage

Living on Campus

In the Office of Residential Life and Learning (ORLL), we manage residential living on campus and help with room and roommate selection. Our residential life staff and other residential partners work together to create inclusive communities and a healthy, thriving co-curricular experience for undergraduates through a variety of programming throughout the year.

Frequently Asked Questions

What opportunities or resources are extended to students in the residence halls?

Through the residence hall, all students are connected to either a First Year Assistant (a residential advisor who works with First Years), or a Community Development Assistant (a continuing student living with Sophomore, Junior and/or Senior students). These student staff are supported and trained by our residential life team in order to design opportunities and program for engagement, to connect students who are struggling to resources and opportunities, and to serve as peer mentor to support all students experience at Tufts. There are a wide range of opportunities available in the residence hall through this student staff team, and through programming supported by the university that exists in the residential space.

If my advisee/student is looking for connection and/or opportunity, who might help?

The student staff members (First Year Assistants and Community Development Assistants) live in residence halls in order to support individual growth the thriving, and to offer opportunity for social engagement. You can encourage your student to reach out to their FYA or CDA, or you may reach out to Residential Life and we will work with our student team to connect to the student in question.

When do students apply for housing for the upcoming year?

In order to live on campus, students must apply for a lottery number. Students are invited to do so in mid December.

When do students select their housing?

Students may select their on-campus housing for the upcoming year in the beginning of March.

If I have a student who lost their key, where do they go?

Student can come to the Office of Residential Life and Learning, located at 20 Professors Row to request a lock change and order a new key.


Study Abroad

Working with global partners, the mission of the Study Abroad office is to provide academically sound, culturally immersive, and linguistically rigorous study-abroad programs, structured with appropriate support, that challenge students to acquire and employ knowledge in new contexts and to expand their perspectives on the world and their own place in it. 

There are a wide range of academic, personal, and professional benefits to be gained through studying abroad. Many students find it is a truly transformative skill-building experience. Tufts has been offering study abroad programs to undergraduate students for five decades. Students may also choose from hundreds of approved programs run by non-Tufts providers.

Frequently Asked Questions

What advice should I give students/advisees interested in study abroad?

There is a dedicated office on campus to help them plan: the Office of Programs Abroad in Dowling Hall. We can tell them which programs are approved/recommended; how to compare Tufts and non-Tufts programs; how to petition for credit for courses taken abroad; etc. We offer a “Study Abroad First Steps” presentation (both in person and online) that helps students launch their planning.

Staff in our office advise on the study-abroad process and on programs, but in general, we are not in a position to help students sort out *which* specific courses they should plan to take abroad in order to fulfill degree and major requirements. We encourage students to work with their advisers to plan their specific courses and discuss any department-specific policies/limitations regarding coursework taken off campus.

Every course taken through a Tufts Program abroad will count automatically as Tufts credit, but determinations as to how and if course can count toward the major or toward graduation distributions are made by the departments. If a student needs a course on a Tufts Program abroad to count a specific way, they will typically need to request a ‘course equivalency’ through SIS, or petition the ARB.

We encourage students to work with their advisors to identify major and degree requirements they can possibly take abroad. Curricula vary around the world and finding exact equivalents to specific major requirements is not always possible. However, most students can meet at least some of their requirements abroad. Of course, one of the wonderful things about study abroad is that it affords students the opportunity to take courses in areas/subjects that are not necessarily offered here on campus!

How do I find out whether a non-Tufts program is on Tufts’ list of Recommended Programs?

The full list is on the Programs Abroad website. Students who directly enroll in a degree-granting university are not restricted to the Recommended List (subject to certain conditions).

How does a program get added to the Recommended Programs list?

A student must petition the Subcommittee on Foreign Programs to participate in a program that is not on the list. The program is not automatically added to the list after a successful petition, but after several students have participated with satisfactory results, the subcommittee may decide to add the program. Programs that travel to several different countries are in a special category and always require a petition, even if they have been used regularly, because, although well suited to certain majors, they are not appropriate for all students.

What are the rules for summer programs?

For summer programs, students do not need to adhere to the recommended programs list, although it can be a useful starting point. It is important to remember that a Tufts academic department may have its own rules for approving courses for transfer credit (for example, at least 5 teaching weeks may be required).

What is the faculty advisor’s role in approving a student’s study abroad?

By November 15 or April 30 of the preceding semester, the student should submit a Study Abroad Leave of Absence request in SIS. The request will come for approval first to the advisor in the student’s first major, and only then to the Programs Abroad Office. If you overlook the leave approval for a few weeks, you may need to filter the SIS request by an earlier date before it will appear in the pending list.

Will I need to write a recommendation letter in support of my advisee’s application to a non-Tufts program?

You may be asked by the students for a brief letter of recommendation, addressed to the program. We ask students to give faculty at least a week’s notice. Some programs also ask language faculty to complete a language evaluation form. You do not need to complete the study-abroad advisor approval form that informs the program of a student’s good standing and Tufts’ rules for transfer credit; this is handled in Programs Abroad.

How should I respond to a representative wanting to tell me about a non-Tufts study abroad program?

Standard practice is for a program to first ask Programs Abroad if their representative may approach you. We do not attempt to set up meetings with you on behalf of any non-Tufts programs. You are absolutely free to decline a request. Some programs have well-established connections with Tufts faculty, and in such cases, upon your request, we are happy to schedule an information session in Dowling for interested students.

Student Organizations and Campus Events

The Office for Campus Life manages the Mayer Campus Center, student organizations, and large scale student events, Pre-Orientation, and Undergraduate Orientation. In supporting the mission of Tufts University, the School of Arts, Sciences, and Engineering, and the Division of Student Affairs, the Office for Campus Life aims to foster a balance for all students between curricular and co-curricular opportunities. In recognizing that an essential part of a student’s growth takes place outside of the classroom, the Office for Campus Life strives to provide all Tufts students with exceptional programs, services, and opportunities to create well-rounded, independent thinkers who become effective leaders in college and beyond.

Frequently Askes Questions

Do you employ student workers?

We hire approximately 50 student staff each year to help us manage the building which is open 117 hours each week. Staff include Event Staff, Event Staff Managers, Campus Center Managers, Office Assistants, and Information Booth Attendants.

How many Student Organizations are there at Tufts?

We have over 330+ student organizations recognized by the TCU Senate or run through academic departments. Our office assists with event planning and any issues that arise throughout the year. Student organizations directly advised by our office includes the Tufts Mountain Club (TMC), Tufts University Social Collective (TUSC), Tufts Community Union Senate (TCU or Senate), Leonard Carmichael Society (LCS), Tufts Student Resources (TSR), Tufts Bikes, Applejam, Tufts Dance Collective (TDC), and WMFO (radio station). We also manage all student organization office spaces including spaces in Hayes House and Curtis Hall.

What is Event Registrations?

We run Event Registration every Friday morning during the academic year to provide students with a “one stop shop” for their event planning needs. Members of the Event Registration committee include OCL, Campus Life Financial Office, Facilities, TUPD, Conference & Event Services, and the Office for Residential Life and Learning. Each academic year, we see upwards of 600 student organization events come through the Event Registration process.

What is the Office for Campus Life's involvement in Orientation and Pre-Orientation?

Our office coordinates the management of both Pre-Orientation and Orientation. Pre-Orientation consists of multiple programs for incoming students, both first years and transfers, prior to full Undergraduate Orientation. All of the programs and their contact information are listed on the Pre-Orientation website. Full Undergraduate Orientation begins on Matriculation day each year and brings incoming first years and transfer students through a variety of programs to introduce them to the Tufts Community. Information on Orientation can be found on the Orientation website.

How do I book a meeting space or table in the Campus Center?

All meeting rooms and tables are booked through the Tufts Space and Reservation System. When you login, select Reservations > Mayer Campus Center Space Request > Facilities > Select either Mayer Campus Center for meeting rooms or Mayer Campus Center Tables for tabling space in the lobby > Enter Reservation Information > Receive confirmation from the Space and Resource Reservation System email.

Can our department borrow the Jumbo suit?

Depending on what other gigs Jumbo has booked, we can accommodate use of the Jumbo suit. Email OCL@tufts.edu to reserve and get more information on pick up and drop off.

When is the next shuttle?

The shuttle tracker is listed here: Public Safety Shuttle Services, which the Information Booth Attendant has access to should you need to ask them while you’re in the lobby!

How do I rent a vehicle for a student group?

If the student group has funding for the trip through their TCU budget, they should consult our Transportation and Travel information, need to work with the Campus Life Financial Office (617-627-4112) to reserve a vehicle and register their trip. If this is for a class or other University-related business trip, you can find options here. Our office does not own any University vehicles.

Where can I post flyers on campus?

Please follow the University Policy for Posting and Advertising. If flyers are posted in unauthorized locations, they will be taken down and discarded. Please note that the Campus Center cork boards are cleared every Sunday night.

How can I get my department flyer in the large displays in the Campus Center?

We have a queue of large posters that get displayed in the Campus Center. These are subject to approval based on the content, length of display request, and how busy it is. Email OCL@tufts.edu to request a space. For smaller flyers, drop them off in our office and we can put them in our glass display cases for a week at a time (cleared every Sunday night).

Can I get a ticket to XYZ event?

On Tufts Tickets, many student organization and some department events are listed. If the organization or department lists that Faculty/Staff are able to purchase tickets, it will be listed on the site. You will need to create an account under the Tufts Community Login. Once you login, you should be able to purchase your tickets online or at the Campus Center Information Booth. If you have any issues with your Tufts Tickets account, email OCL@tufts.edu.

Do you have A/V in the meeting rooms?

Meeting rooms with A/V capabilities include rooms 012 (basement floor), 112 (main floor), and 220 (upper floor). These rooms have televisions to display videos and presentations. 012 is is equipped with plug in capabilities, but it is encouraged to bring your own adapter or test your computer/presentation materials beforehand as we do not provide any cables/cords. Rooms 112 and 220 are accessed through a Wi-Fi screen share program with instructions on how to access the technology next to the televisions.

Do you offer conference phones in the meeting rooms?

No, we do not have conference phones in the meeting rooms. You should connect with Tufts A/V Services 2 weeks in advance of your meeting should you need assistance.