Apply and Reapply for Aid: Graduate Students

Most scholarships, fellowships, and research or teaching assistantships are administered through the dean’s office of your school. Application for these sources of aid is made to the Office of the Dean of your school at Tufts. If such aid is offered, you will be notified by your school shortly after you are accepted, or at a later date for continuing students. If you have questions about the forms for financial aid, contact the Dean’s Office in your graduate school.

These forms and procedures apply to graduate students at Fletcher, Graduate A&S, Graduate Engineering, Post-Bac Premed, GMAP, Gordon Institute, and Certificate Programs. Please do not submit federal or state income tax returns to Tufts. They are not required and will be shredded upon receipt.

Award Notification

Decisions for new student applicants are made for a full academic year on a rolling basis beginning in March. Most decisions for returning applicants are made by late July for the academic year. 

Most graduate students who qualify for federal financial aid will receive up to $20,500 per academic year in the Federal Unsubsidized Stafford Loan. Students can also apply for the Federal Graduate PLUS Loan or the private student loans to cover costs not covered by scholarships and/or the Federal Unsubsidized Stafford Loan.

All Financial Aid Award notices are sent electronically to your email address on file at Tufts. 

Required Documents


You are encouraged to complete your FAFSA as early as possible in order to allow provisional credits to be reflected on your bill, which is mailed the first week in July.


If you are selected for verification by the Federal government (indicated on your Student Aid Report (SAR) which you receive after submitting your FAFSA), Tufts will contact you with additional next steps. Any aid awarded is tentative, and no loans can be disbursed, until the verification process is completed.


If you are not a U.S. citizen, but are a permanent resident, you may need to submit a copy of both sides of your alien registration card to Student Financial Services. If you receive a notification from the government on your paper or electronic Student Aid Report (SAR) that they were unable to confirm your citizenship, you must submit proof of citizenship (such as a copy of a U.S. passport, U.S. birth certificate, or copy of Naturalization) to Student Financial Services. Tufts will be in touch with you directly if you need to provide citizenship information.

If you are a returning student, you do not need to submit this information unless you have not done so in the past.

Selective Service

Selective service registration is no longer required for students to receive federal loans.

Federal Requirements

In order to obtain federal aid, you must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, and you must be making satisfactory progress (determined by individual department). You must also be officially registered on at least a half time basis to receive any federal aid that has been made available to you.

Tufts University provides information regarding your enrollment status to the National Student Loan Data System, which then provides information to lenders. Enrollment status for graduate students is defined as follows:

Enrollment Status
Full time  Nine (9) or more semester hours (SHUs), or six (6) semester hours with a teaching or research assistantship, or registration as a full-time continuing student (402/502), working on a thesis, dissertation project or internship
Half time Five (5) semester hours (SHUs) or two (2) semester hours and a teaching or research assistantship
Part time Less than five (5) semester hours (SHUs) or registration as a part-time continuing student (401/501)

It is your responsibility to make sure you register accordingly each semester. Federal regulations require that you are officially enrolled half-time or full-time in order to receive or defer federal student loans.

Back to Top