First-Gen Collective at Tufts

Tufts F1RST is a student-led initiative by the First-Gen Collective at Tufts to unite and champion pride within the Tufts first-generation community.

First-Gen Collective at Tufts was founded to create a community of support and to develop a network of resources for Tufts University's first-gen population. First-Gen Collective welcomes any student who self-identifies with the first-gen college student experience. By strengthening the bonds between our community members and bridging the gap between Tufts resources and first-gen students, First-Gen Collective aims to ensure that first-gen students are empowered in reaching their full social, professional, and academic potential. First-Gen Collective celebrates the first-gen identity and passionately advocates for the trailblazers among us who are the first in their families to attend a private institution like Tufts.

Email Instagram Facebook

Programming for Students

Throughout the academic year, the First-Gen Collective hosts meetings and programs and offers opportunities to attend conferences and events away from campus.

Some signature programs include:

• Workshops to support first-gen students in achieving their academic and personal goals
  • Welcome Panel during Orientation week that features sophomore, junior, and senior students who share their experiences as first-gen students at Tufts and resources they have utilized to enhance their success
  • Opportunities for community building through bonding exercises, group discussions, and biweekly hangouts with food, music, and games
  • Fall and Spring Semester Dinners, where students can share a meal and connect with the first-gen community
  • I Am First photo campaign, where students share what being first-gen at Tufts means to them
  • The Annual First Gen Summit at Mount Holyoke

Leadership

Harley LaRue

Harley LaRue

First-Gen Collective President

Hi everyone! My name is Harley, and I am a part of the class of 2023 majoring in Psychology. I'm from Nanticoke, PA (near Scranton, if you watch The Office). At Tufts, I am a part of United for Immigrant Justice, First-Gen Collective, the QuestBridge Chapter, and BLAST Cohort 8. In my free time, I enjoy reading, writing, and baking heart-shaped cakes for each of my friend's birthdays. If you have any questions or just want to get to know me better, feel free to email me at harley.larue@tufts.edu!