Financial Aid and Funding

Tufts Programs Abroad

Students participating in Tufts Programs Abroad will be charged the standard Tufts tuition rate for that term plus a program 'comprehensive fee' that covers full room and board while they are abroad. Tufts students already receiving financial aid at Tufts may continue to receive their scholarship awards while enrolled in Tufts Programs Abroad. Students must apply in advance for all scholarships, loans, or other forms of financial aid at the Office of Financial Aid. Applicants from other institutions are not eligible for financial aid from Tufts University and should apply for aid or loans through their own college or university. Additional outside funding may be available; please see Scholarships, Grants and Funding.

Please review carefully what the comprehensive fee includes for each program.

Students on Tufts Programs Abroad are responsible for arranging and paying for their own international round-trip transportation costs (with the exception of the Chile, China, and Ghana programs) and the costs associated with obtaining a student visa (with the exception of the Beijing and Ghana programs).

External Programs

You will not pay Tufts tuition, room, or board to participate in an external study-abroad program. Instead, you will pay your program directly for all costs. This means that scholarships and grants from Tufts University will not apply to an external program. However, state and federal aid awards (such as Pell Grants and Stafford Loans) may apply. Some external programs also offer their own need- and merit-based scholarships and grants, which may help offset the cost but often do not cover it completely. While you may apply for awards through your external program or other outside organizations, you may only apply for Pell Grants, state scholarships, and Stafford Loans through Tufts. Since the cost of some external programs is less than the cost of Tufts, some students who are eligible for a Stafford Loan while attending Tufts may not be eligible for a Stafford Loan while attending an external program. If you need additional assistance, your parents may be eligible for a PLUS loan or other unsubsidized parent loans. The bursar’s office will not transfer any financial aid funds to your external program until those funds are actually received (for example, Stafford Loan checks received and Pell Grants processed). This typically means that you cannot rely on these funds to pay the bill for your external program unless the program will allow you an extension of their usual deadlines.

If you plan to attend an external program:      

  • You must notify the financial aid office in writing or on your financial aid application. More information about finances for external study abroad can be found at the Financial Services' website.
  • You must submit a Consortium Agreement Form, available from the financial aid office. This form must be completed by the external program and returned to the aid office in order for them to process your aid.
  • If your loan agency requires a "verification of full-time status" for the semester you are abroad, it must be requested from the external program you are attending.

If you have questions or wish to discuss your financial situation in more detail, please contact your financial aid advisor.

Tufts Tuition Prepayment Option

Study-abroad students who are participating in the Tufts Tuition Prepayment Option may request that the money paid to Tufts University be paid to the institution they will attend. Regulations governing how prepaid funds can be used are available from the bursar’s office.                      

Study Elsewhere Fee

To meet the costs of administrative procedures connected with study at other institutions (both in the United States and abroad) all students studying elsewhere will be charged a fee of $1,400 at the time that the leave is processed. Students will not be charged this fee to attend Tufts Programs Abroad; students receiving need-based financial aid will also not be charged this fee.

Scholarships, Grants and Funding

There are various sources of outside funding available for study abroad; some are broadly applicable to a variety of students, while others have a very specific academic focus or a more narrowly-defined target population. Here are some of the more broadly-applicable funding opportunities:

Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program

Application deadlines (consult website for most current information): early March for summer, fall, or full-year study abroad; early October for spring study abroad.
The Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program offers grants for U.S. citizen undergraduate students of limited financial means to pursue academic studies abroad. The program aims to encourage students to choose non-traditional study abroad destinations, especially those outside of Western Europe and Australia, and to support students who have been traditionally under-represented in study abroad, including but not limited to, students with high financial need, community college students, students in under-represented fields such as the sciences and engineering, students with diverse ethnic backgrounds, and students with disabilities.

Eligibility: Students must be receiving a Federal Pell Grant at the time of application or during the time they are studying abroad and cannot be studying abroad in a country currently under a U.S. Department of State Travel Warning or in Cuba. For more information, full eligibility criteria and the online application visit:

Freeman-ASIA Scholarship Program

Application deadlines (consult website for most current information): early Mar. for summer; early Apr. for fall or full-year study abroad; mid-Oct. for spring study abroad.
Freeman-ASIA (Freeman Awards for Study in Asia) is designed to support U.S.-based undergraduates with demonstrated financial need who are planning to study overseas in East or Southeast Asia. The program’s goal is to increase the number of U.S. citizens and permanent residents with first-hand exposure to and understanding of Asia and its peoples and cultures.

Eligibility: Freeman-ASIA accepts applications from U.S. citizens or permanent residents studying at the undergraduate level at a two-year or four-year college or university who demonstrate financial need to study abroad in East or Southeast Asia. For more information, full eligibility criteria and the online application visit:

Diversity Network Summer Scholarship

Application deadlines (consult website for most current information): first week in April.
The Diversity Abroad Network “Diversity Network” will offer summer scholarships in the amount of $1,000 for full-time undergraduate (both community college and university level) students attending a member institution.

Eligibility: Applicants must be full-time undergraduates at a university or community college based in Australia, Canada, the United Kingdom or the United States. Economically disadvantaged students, African-American/Black, Asian, Hispanic/Latino, Multiracial/ethnic or Indigenous/Native-American, students with disabilities and first generation college undergraduate students are strongly encouraged to apply. For more information, full eligibility criteria and the online application visit their website.

Fund for Education Abroad (FEA) Scholarships

Application deadlines (consult website for most current information): mid-January for the upcoming academic year.
FEA offers both general and dedicated scholarships for study abroad to U.S. citizens, including the Rainbow Scholarship for LGBT students and the BASAA Scholarship for students attending New England colleges and universities. Visit their website for information about their scholarships.

Additional Funding