Lab Testing

Health Service has a small on-site lab which can draw bloodwork and perform basic laboratory tests ordered by our clinicians. Labs not processed on site are sent to Quest Laboratory.  We cannot process orders from clinicians outside of Health Service. Check with your insurance company if you can use Quest is an "in-network" clinical laboratory, to ensure your tests are covered and paid for by the insurance company. If Quest is not an "in-network" provider with your insurance, ask your insurance company for providers in the area and call the Business Office if you need further assistance. 

The lab is open the same hours the Health Service is open. For Health Service hours please visit our page.

If you need information about how these services are billed to the insurance company or to the patient, please refer to Billing information.

Tests Ordered by Providers outside of Health Service

Health Service has discontinued the practice of drawing and processing orders from clinicians outside of Health Service.  We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

We have found that official draw stations have systems and computer interfaces that allow the central laboratory to process and track the results more reliably.

If your own doctor or specialist wants to order lab tests for you, they should send the order electronically, or provide you with a lab order form that includes test names, CPT codes, diagnosis, and ICD10 diagnosis codes.  

The closest draw station is within walking distance (see below):

Rehabilitation Services
101 Main Street, Suite 105
Medford, MA 02155

Monday 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Tuesdays to Fridays 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Drawing Stations near Tufts University Medford Campus

Clinical Laboratory Testing Sent to Quest Diagnostics via Tufts University Health Service

Some tests cannot be done at the Health Services Clinical Laboratory.  We can collect the specimen and send it to Quest Diagnostics (Quest) for evaluation. 

Labs done by Quest are billed directly to the insurance company.  Check with your insurance company if you can use Quest is an "in-network" clinical laboratory, to ensure your tests are covered and paid for by the insurance company. If Quest is not an "in-network" provider with your insurance, ask your insurance company for providers in the area and call the Business Office if you need further assistance. 

Accessing your health information has never been easier. MyQuest delivers critical information directly to your computer, tablet and smart phone giving you the tools you need to view, access and securely share your health information wherever you go. Look at all the things it can do for you.

  • Pay your Quest bill
  • Check your invoice status
  • View and update insurance information
  • Review test results

Medical Illness Documentation Policy

Due to COVID-19, Health Service will not see students on a walk-in basis and will not provide exam excuse notes until further notice. If you are ill on the day of an exam, you should stay home if the class is in-person. If you are on-campus and need medical attention, please call Health Service to schedule an appointment. Review your course syllabus for policies surrounding missed exams and their impact on overall grading. Contact your instructor prior to the exam to let them know you are sick and not able to participate in the exam when scheduled. Work with them to explore alternative options. If you have medical documentation from an off-campus healthcare provider, please give it to your Advising Dean instead of your instructor.

Students having any issues with implementation of this policy, or problems making up work missed due to illness, should contact their Advising Dean for assistance.

Faculty: See "When Students Get Sick"

    Obtaining Medical Records

    For your convenience, Health Service can provide you or a third party with copies of your protected health information.

    Currently enrolled students requesting immunization records

    If you are a present student and need copies of your immunization records, please access the Patient Portal at go to the “Immunizations” tab and click on the green “print” button on the page.


    go to the “Messages” tab and send your request to “General Services” inbox, including what information you need from your medical record. We will send your immunization request back to you via the Patient Portal in pdf format.

    Currently enrolled students requesting copies of medical records

    If you are a present student and need copies of your medical records, please access the Patient Portal, go to the “Messages” tab and send your request to “General Services” inbox including what information you need from your medical record. We will send your medical record request back to you via the Patient Portal in pdf format.

    Past student requesting medical and immunization records

    If you are a past student and need copies of your medical records, complete and sign our Authorization to Release Medical Records form.

    Send your request via one of the following options:

    • Email to
    • fax to 617-627-3592
    • mail to Tufts University Health Service, 124 Professors Row, Medford, MA 02155
    • Bring it to the front desk in Health Service (124 Professors Row)

    In order to process the request, it MUST include:

    • Name of student
    • Tufts I.D. #
    • Address and Telephone #.
    • year entered and year graduated 
    • Specifically what you need from your record
    • Where to send or fax the information
    • The request MUST be signed by the patient.

    Request for Records at the Counseling and Mental Health Center

    For all record requests related to care received at the Counseling and Mental Health Center, please complete the Permission to Release CMHS Information form and send via:

    • Fax 617-627-3019
    • Mail: Tufts University, Counseling and Mental Health Service, 120 Curtis Street, Medford, MA 02155

    Obtaining a Physician Referral

    If you need care from a specialist, we can refer you to a qualified professional. 

    If you have the Student Health Insurance, please review Referral to outside providers

    If you have Private Insurance, you can find out what the coverage is by calling the number or visiting the insurance website listed on your health insurance card. You can ask what the benefits cover, if there is a yearly deductible, and if there are limits to coverage. You can find out who the in-network providers are by going to your insurance website and following the links for specialists and typing in various parameters for a search. If you give that list to our staff we can review the names and will try to make suggestions. 

    For further assistance, you can contact the business office.


    • Referrals made by Tufts University Health and Wellness should not be considered to be recommendations.
    • Tufts University does not license, endorse, or recommend any particular provider, nor does it conduct any due diligence about the quality of the care given by any provider. 
    • Tufts University is not responsible for the professional services rendered by those healthcare or counseling professionals and is not responsible for their availability.
    • Those healthcare or counseling professionals will not refer your healthcare matter back to Tufts University Health and Wellness and will not share any personal health information with Tufts University Health and Wellness unless you make a specific written request in accordance with applicable law. 
    • Tufts University urges students (i) to check with their insurance company whether the provider is covered as an “in-network provider” prior to the first appointment; and (ii) to interview the provider at the first appointment to make sure such provider is a good fit.

    Preferred Name Change

    Contact our Business Office in Health Services to have your preferred name updated in your electronic medical record.

    Click here for more information on how to update your legal name in other electronic services across Tufts.

    Click here for more information on how to update your preferred name in other electronic services across Tufts.

    Outside Resources:

    Prescription Medication

    The clinicians at Health Service can prescribe medication if you need it. If you get a prescription through us, you will  select a pharmacy and we will transmit the order to them electronically. If you prefer, we can give you a hard-copy prescription to take to your pharmacy in person.


    • Your co-pay, the percent of the overall cost of the drug you are responsible for, depends on your insurance.
    • The co-pay for any given medication will be the same at every pharmacy.
    • When the pharmacy fills your prescription, they will submit the information electronically to your insurance company.

    **New! Get free same-day delivery to your door with Capsule Pharmacy**

    Capsule provides free same-day prescription delivery to your residence hall or apartment within most of the greater Boston area, including Fenway, Medford, and Somerville. Capsule also provides you the ability to communicate with the pharmacist via text message. All insurances accepted. Simply ask your healthcare provider to prescribe to "Capsule - Boston" to get started!

    For information on how to transfer your prescription to Capsule, you can visit their website. Questions? Text or call 617-544-2898.

    Inman Pharmacy offers free delivery service to Health Service

    Many students use Inman Pharmacy for its  convenient delivery service. Inman Pharmacy is an independent pharmacy in Cambridge that fills and delivers prescriptions to Health Service on the Medford/Somerville campus. The pharmacy makes daily deliveries during Health Service hours of operation.

    To process your prescription, Inman Pharmacy will need your insurance information and a credit card to which the co-pay can be charged.

    Inman Pharmacy provides this delivery service as a convenience to the students. If you use this service, any communication is strictly between you and the pharmacy. Tufts University is not responsible for providing payment information or collecting payment for services or products. Once the prescription leaves the pharmacy it cannot be returned.

    Deliveries of prescriptions are made to Health Service on a pre-arranged schedule. The following are approximate times:

    • During the academic year, Monday to Friday 10:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m., and Saturdays at 2:30 p.m.
    • During breaks and holidays, 2:30 p.m.

    Inman Pharmacy
    Phone: 617-876-4868
    Fax: 617-547-9521
    Address: 1414 Cambridge Street, Cambridge, MA

    Other Local Pharmacies

    Rite Aid Pharmacy
    Monday through Saturday - 9 a.m. to 9 p.m., Sunday 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
    Davis Square, 393 Highland Avenue, Somerville
    617-776-7730 (phone) / 617-776-2372 (fax)

    CVS Pharmacy
    7 days a week - 8 a.m. to 9 p.m.
    1 Davis Square, Somerville, MA 02144
    617-629-4156 (phone) / 617-629-4758 (fax)

    CVS Pharmacy
    7 days a week - 24 hours a day
    Wellington Circle, at the intersection of Routes 28 and 16 East
    590 Middlesex Fells Parkway, Medford
    781-391-2668 (phone) / 781-396-4113 (fax)

    Walgreens Pharmacy
    7 days a week - 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.
    337 Broadway, Somerville
    617-776-5104 (phone) / 617-776-7591 (fax)

    CVS Pharmacy
    Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 10 p.m., Saturday and Sunday 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
    Magoun Square, 532 Medford Street, Somerville
    617-628-1401 (phone) / 617-623-8227 (fax)

    How to Transfer a Prescription from Another Pharmacy?

    Transferring a prescription from one pharmacy to another is easy. The pharmacy receiving the prescription handles most of the work. You should contact the pharmacy receiving the prescription and ask them how they handle a prescription transfer.

    In general, here's how it works: 

    • Simply call, stop by the pharmacy receiving the prescription (Receiving Pharmacy). In some cases, you can request the transfer online.
    • Provide the name of the medication along with the name and phone number of the pharmacy sending the prescription (Transferring Pharmacy).
    • The Receiving Pharmacy will contact the Transferring Pharmacy where your prescription is currently on file to get the information needed to fill your prescription. If the prescription has no remaining refills, the Receiving Pharmacy will contact the prescribing physician.
    • Contact the Receiving Pharmacy for instructions on how to request the transfer online.

    Translation and Interpreter Services

    As part of our Office's mission to help you enhance and maintain your health we understand that also means being able to communicate with your parents, families and guardians. In order to better support the needs of both students and families we offer translation and interpreter services in over 200 languages through Protranslating for those who have questions, concerns or simply want to connect with our office. To request translation or interpreter services please contact our Business Office at 617-627-3350.

    翻译服务 (Chinese)

    帮助您提高和保持健康体魄是我们的使命之一,我们明白这也意味着需要和您的父母、家庭和监护人沟通。如果您有任何问题、疑虑或是想与我们联系,Protranslating 公司可为大家提供200多个语种的翻译服务,以更好地满足学生和家庭的需求。若需翻译服务,请与我们的商务部门联系,电话:617-627-3350.

    Services de traduction (French)

    Dans le cadre de sa mission, laquelle consiste à vous aider à améliorer et à maintenir votre santé, notre bureau est conscient de l'importance de pouvoir communiquer avec vos parents, vos familles et vos tuteurs. Afin de mieux répondre aux besoins des étudiants et de leurs familles, nous proposons donc, par l'entremise de Protranslating, des services de traduction dans plus de 200 langues pour tous ceux qui ont des questions, des préoccupations ou tout simplement souhaitent communiquer avec notre bureau. Pour demander des services de traduction, veuillez contacter notre bureau au 617-627-3350.

    Übersetzungsdienste (German)

    Als Teil unseres Anliegens, Ihre Gesundheit zu verbessern und zu erhalten, verstehen wir, wie wichtig es dabei ist, mit Eltern und Familienangehörigen in Verbindung bleiben zu können. Zur besseren Unterstützung der Studierenden und ihrer Familien bieten wir durch Protranslating Übersetzungsdienste für mehr als 200 Sprachen an, falls sie Fragen oder Sorgen haben oder einfach nur mit uns sprechen möchten. Um die Übersetzungsdienste in Anspruch zu nehmen, wenden Sie sich bitte an unser Geschäftsbüro unter der Telefonnummer 617-627-3350.

    Servizi di traduzione (Italian)

    Parte della missione del nostro Ufficio è far sì che tu possa migliorare e mantenere la salute. Capiamo pertanto l’importanza di poter comunicare con genitori, familiari e tutori. Al fine di soddisfare al meglio le esigenze di studenti e famiglie, offriamo servizi di traduzione in oltre 200 lingue tramite Protranslating per chiunque abbia domande, dubbi o voglia semplicemente rivolgersi al nostro ufficio. Per richiedere servizi di traduzione contattare il nostro Ufficio commerciale al 617-627-3350.

    번역 서비스 (Korean)

    모든 학생의 건강 관리 및 향상이 최우선 사항인 만큼 저희는 학부모, 가족 및 보호자와의 원할한 의사 소통 또한 아주 중요하다는 점을 잘 이해하고 있습니다. 학생 당사자와 가족의 필요를 돕기위해, 문의 또는 우려 사항이 있으신 경우, 저희는 전문 번역 업체인 Protranslating 에 의뢰하여 200여 이상의 언어로 번역 서비스를 제공해 드리고 있습니다. 번역 의뢰를 원하시면 저희 사무실(전화: 617-627-3350)로 연락해 주시기 바랍니다.

    Servicios de traducción (Spanish)

    Como parte del objetivo de nuestra Oficina para ayudarle a mejorar y mantener su salud, entendemos la importancia de la comunicación con sus padres, familiares y tutores. A fin de brindar un mejor apoyo a las necesidades tanto de los estudiantes como de sus familiares, ofrecemos servicios de traducción en más de 200 idiomas a través de Protranslating a quienes tengan preguntas, inquietudes o simplemente deseen comunicarse con nuestra oficina. Para solicitar servicios de traducción, comuníquese con nuestra Oficina Comercial al 617-627-3350.

      Tuition Insurance (Optional)

      Tuition is a substantial investment.  We strongly encourage you to consider tuition insurance. Undergraduate students who leave the University during the first six weeks of classes are eligible for a refund of a percentage of tuition in accordance with the schedule set by the Bursar. There is no reimbursement after the sixth week unless the student purchase tuition Insurance before the beginning of the semester. Tuition insurance protects your financial commitment if your student needs to leave the university unexpectedly because of a health concern. Coverage for unanticipated medical leaves of absence allows the student and their parents/caregivers to focus on addressing the reasons for interrupting a term or year, instead of worrying about the possible financial repercussions of a leave. While this is true every year, we are still experiencing the physical and mental health consequences of a global health pandemic and it is more prudent than ever before to consider this protection.  

      Students with questions should contact Dewar at:
      Phone: 617-774-1555
      Fax: 617-774-1715

      Students who are on leave are not charged tuition and fees and are not eligible for stipends.

      COVID-19 Update: The Tuition Refund Plan policy at Tufts University does not exclude Covid-19, and therefore it would be treated as any other illness under the policy. Please note that the policy does not cover insured costs due to the college sending students off-campus and changing to an online instruction format.