Adjunctive psychiatric services are available for students who are concurrently engaged in a stable counseling relationship (with either an on- or off-campus therapist). Students must be referred by their counselor/therapist to our psychiatry service. Students who are enrolled in Tufts Student Health Insurance are covered for in-house psychiatric services. For all other students, there is a charge. We cannot bill insurance, but some plans may reimburse through the out-of-network benefit.
Psychiatric Medication Evaluation
To have your medication managed by our psychiatry service, you must be actively participating in counseling or psychotherapy. Counseling services at CMHS are available for brief interventions only, and therefore you will probably need to seek ongoing treatment from a therapist in the community. You will need a referral to our psychiatric service either through your current CMHS counselor or your current off-campus therapist.
- If you are working with a therapist at CMHS, please speak to your therapist; they will discuss the referral process with you.
- If you are working with an off-campus therapist, please have them fill out the Referral Form and fax (617-627-3019) or mail it to us. Once we receive and review the form, we will contact you to schedule an appointment.
- If you have a stable and well-controlled mental health issue, including ADHD, and currently receive medication prescribed by a clinician at home, we strongly encourage you to continue your treatment with your provider at home if you can.
Psychiatric Management of ADHD
Students who wish to have their ADHD medication prescribed by our psychiatry service must provide complete documentation of the evaluation which led to the ADHD diagnosis. The evaluation must be current (done within the past 3 years) and complete. CMHS does not provide diagnostic evaluations for ADHD, though we can offer a list of qualified local providers.
- Initial evaluation: no charge
- Most medication follow-up visits (20-30 minutes) are billed at $100
- The Student Health Insurance covers psychiatry visits in full.
- For other health insurance plans, we do not bill your insurance directly but will send you an itemized medical bill to submit to your insurance company for reimbursement, if requested.
- Unless you pay the fee at the time of service, the charges will go on your tuition bill and will be listed simply as a Health Service charge to protect your confidentiality. We do not accept credit cards.
- For questions about your insurance coverage, contact the Health Services Business Office at 617-627-3350.
- Concerns about payment should not be a barrier to seeking needed services. Please let your referring counselor know if you will have trouble paying the fee.
Emergencies During Regular Office Hours (9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday - Friday)
Contact emergency services through the CMHS front office at 617-627-3360.
After-Hours Emergencies (5 p.m. to 9 a.m. and on weekends)
For mental health crises, the after-hours Counselor on Call can be reached by dialing CMHS at 617-627-3360 and following the prompts. For more information, please visit our Mental Health Emergencies page.