Super Global English Language Programs
Tufts concluded a four-year agreement with Kanazawa University in March of 2019 that allowed Tufts to implement a comprehensive training program for the faculty, staff, and students of Kanazawa University. This initiative was called the Super Global English Language Programs Series and was made possible by a grant from the Japanese Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology (MEXT). This grant is known as the Top Global University Project and it was part of a larger initiative in Japan to globalize 37 universities over the next decade. Over four years, Tufts trained over six hundred participants including nearly 220 faculty.
Overview of Programs
Business English Program
Established in 2015, the Kanazawa University Super Global University Staff Development Program is a 15-week course intended to improve the English skills of 15 members of the Kanazawa University administration. The course takes a skills-based approach to business administration, focusing on finance, presentation skills, marketing and advertising, negotiations, and greeting guests. Participants will engage in extensive practice in order to gain confidence and reinforce skills. This program is offered 2-3 times per year.
Participants in this course are all recent hires and Kanazawa University intends to make them responsible for international communication with foreign students, schools, and businesses.
Faculty Development Program
This course is intended for associate professors and professors who are interested in improving their written and spoken academic English, teaching in the English language, and exploring pedagogical models and strategies that can both enhance student engagement and strengthen the students’ English language skills. The content of this course draws upon research from a variety of fields related to language and education. The course’s language and content objectives are founded on research and strategies from the fields of English for Specific Purposes (ESP) and Sheltered English Instruction (SEI).
This program covers the following content areas:
- Developing instructors’ English for academic purposes
- Developing students’ English for academic purposes
- Planning and teaching in English
- Improving students’ conversational English
- Assessing student learning
- Reflective practice
Student Development Program
Established in 2015, the Kanazawa University Super Global University Student Development Program is a 15-week course that prepares 40-45 Kanazawa University undergraduate students for experience studying abroad in various countries outside of Japan. Kanazawa University’s desire is to increase the number and the English proficiency level of its study abroad population, with the goal of sending more students to universities in the United States, with a
particular emphasis on Tufts.
The program has two major components:
- The first part of the course focuses on improving students’ English abilities and test-taking skills through intensive practice of the TOEFL iBT and the IELTS, as well as one-on-one meetings between the instructor and each student.
- The second part of the course aims to help students understand the classroom cultures in each of their target countries, learn more about global and regional culture and events, and develop strategies for success in programs abroad.