Room Change Process
Interested in changing rooms?
From time to time, students may wish to change their room assignment, either because of a desire for a different location, due to a roommate/community conflict, or for other reasons. We ask that students first discuss a possible room change with their Resident Assistant. Oftentimes, the student staff member can provide helpful insight or guidance for how to navigate conflict, or alternatively, they can help residents work through the room change process and connect them with a professional staff member who can provide direct support.
Your Resident Assistant, Assistant Residential Life Coordinator, or Residential Life Coordinator will be able to provide additional information about the room change process. A list of staff and contact information is available here.
**Please note that no room changes will be approved until September 19 unless there are significant safety concerns.
Overview of the Room Change Process
- Student wishing to move should contact their Resident Assistant.
- Resident Assistant and student meet to talk about reasons for the move request and discuss possible solutions, including mediation options.
- Provided there are no safety concerns, students should have a conversation with the involved parties regarding potential solutions. An RA or ORLL staff member can be present if requested.
- If the student is continuing to experience difficulty living with their roommate(s) after having a mediation conversation, they should reach out to their Assistant Residence Life Coordinator, Residence Life Coordinator, or Assistant Director. A list of staff and contact information is available here.
- The student will receive additional information about options for moves, which may include the link to the room change form and will then be contacted by an ORLL staff member to discuss options for moves.
- Switching rooms within a suite/apartment: If you are interested in switching rooms with a suitemate/apartment-mate, you must notify Residential Operations via email (cc'ing the parties involved) at email@example.com. You will receive confirmation via email and then be updated on the rosters, which are shared with Mail Services, TUPD, and Residential Life staff.
- Students who switch rooms without authorization are subject to fines and student conduct charges.
- Advance notice: We try to provide 24-48 hours notice of a new roommate moving in. This is not guaranteed depending on the timeliness of the move.
- If you are approved to change rooms, you will be given temporary access to both spaces so you have time to move.
- If a student vacates your room, you (and roommates if applicable) will be given 72 hours to request a student to move into that space. The student you are requesting must already have submitted a housing application. Once 72 hours has passed, ORLL will fill the vacancy as needed.