Personal Leave

Undergraduate and graduate students may take a personal leave for many reasons, including travel, to participate in a non-academic program, attend to a family crisis, or to gain a sense of direction.

  • If you are a graduate student interested in exploring a personal leave, please review the Leaves of Absence section of the Graduate Student Handbook and consult with your Director of Graduate Studies or Program Director.
  • If you are an undergraduate student interested in exploring a personal leave, please review the information below and consult with your Advising Dean for guidance (Liberal Arts BA/BS, Liberal Arts BFA, or Engineering).

How to Request a Personal Leave

You can initiate a request for a personal leave of absence, study abroad, study elsewhere, or transfer of personal discontinuation through SIS. Once in SIS, select "Student Living" and select "Leave of Absence". A request for approval will be sent to your advising dean or the program abroad contact.

International StudentsPlease note that all medical and non-medical leaves of absence must also be coordinated with the International Center.

Academic Impact of a Personal Leave

The normal deadlines for withdrawing from classes apply after the start of the semester. You will be subject to normal criteria for Academic Alert and Probation (Liberal Arts BA/BS or Engineering) or Academic Warning and Probation (Liberal Arts BFA).

The option to complete a class only applies if you attended that class regularly through the tenth week of the semester and the professor is willing to continue working you. If you opt to complete one or more classes or opt to take incompletes, the usual grading scale applies, including the possibility of failing grades, even for classes marked incomplete. 

Financial Considerations of a Personal Leave

If you leave withdraw from your classes at any time during the first six weeks, you are eligible for reimbursement of a percentage of tuition, decreasing as each week passes. There is no reimbursement after the sixth week. If you receive financial aid, consult your financial aid counselor.

Academic Residence Requirements and a Personal Leave

If your official leave date falls after the tuition-reimbursement period, you may count that semester toward the residence requirement of eight semesters of full-time study.