Graduate Students

Graduate degrees for students in the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences or the School of Engineering are conferred by the Board of Trustees in August, February, and May. The deadlines to apply for graduation and submit degree requirements are published in the Graduate Student Handbook.

Graduation Date
Deadline to Apply for Graduation on SIS and submit signed Application for Graduation to Student Services
February November 30
May February 28
August July 31


Instructions for all graduate degree candidates:

  1. Login to SIS.
  2. Use the “Academics” dropdown menu to find “Apply to graduate”
  3. Enter or update your diploma name and diploma mailing address.
  4. Print the "Application for Graduation" PDF, complete the student section, and obtain the required department signatures.
  5. Submit the signed application form to Student Services in Dowling Hall.

All degree candidates are required to complete the Graduate Exit Survey. Candidates will receive an email from the Office of Institutional Research with a personal link to the Graduate Exit Survey approximately 6 weeks before graduation. Survey responses are confidential.

Students completing a thesis or dissertation

Submit the required defense paperwork by the deadlines listed in the Graduate Student Handbook:

Submit signed forms to Student Services in Dowling Hall; electronic signatures are only acceptable for committee members who were not physically present at the defense (see Graduate Student Handbook).

Submit your thesis/dissertation online to ProQuest/UMI. Formatting requirements and guidelines can be found in the Graduate Student Handbook; please also refer to these sample title pages.

Graduation Date
ProQuest and Forms Submission Deadline
February January 4
May May 1
August August 15

Ph.D. candidates

Submit the Survey of Earned Doctorates (SED) online by the dates outline in the above table.   Save a copy of the certificate of completion for your records. Learn more about SED information including purpose and confidentiality. The SED is not required for OTD candidates.

Certificate candidates

Complete the Recommendation for Award of a Certificate form, have it signed by your advisor, and submit it to Graduate Student Services in Dowling Hall. (Note: Please download this form before inputting your information. Certain fields may not function properly until the form is downloaded.)