Major and Minor Declaration

As an engineering undergraduate, you are required to declare a major by the end of your first year at Tufts. As a Liberal Arts undergraduate, you should declare a major by the end of your sophomore year at Tufts.

Minors are optional and not all departments and interdisciplinary programs have minors so you should consult department websites for additional information. A student may have any number of minors.

Please note that students may not complete a major and a minor, or two majors, or two minors, from the same department or program unless the department or program explicitly permits it.

Declare a Major or Minor

To declare a major or minor, complete the following steps:

  1. Complete the applicable declaration of major and minor form to declare a first or second major or a minor:  Liberal Arts or Engineering. As an Engineering student, you may declare a second Liberal Arts major using the Liberal Arts form.
  2. Have your new major advisor sign the form. Some minors require a minor advisor so be sure to check with the department. If a minor advisor is not required, a department representative can sign the form instead. 
  3. Return the form to the Student Services desk in Dowling Hall.

Changing Your Major or Advisor

If you would like to change your major or advisor at any point during your time at Tufts, we suggest you consult your current major advisor or advising dean first. Once you’ve spoken with someone, follow these steps to make the change:

  1. Complete the appropriate form: Liberal Arts or Engineering.
  2. Have your new advisor sign the form.
  3. Return the form to Student Services.

Make an Advisor Appointment

Undergraduate Students

As a Tufts student, you are supported by a strong advising team. This network expands even further once you choose an advisor and a major. There are several ways to take advantage of your advising team:

Advisor What they help with How to Contact

Pre-Major or Major Advisor

Course selection, major exploration, discussion and development of intellectual interests, referral to university resources

Directly via email, phone, or department
Student Success Advisor Course selection, campus life questions, major exploration or comparison, policy questions, university resource questions 617-627-2000
Advising Dean All of the above plus academic difficulty, extended absences or leaves, petitions for policy exceptions, residency requirements, fulfilling degree requirements 617-627-2000


Graduate Students

All graduate students are assigned academic advisers and thesis or dissertation advisers by your department. The faculty director of your graduate certificate program serves as the advisor for participating students. Please contact your department or advisor directly to make an appointment.