If you are covered by a separate policy, please complete the Health Insurance Waiver on your SIS account. This waiver process is required every year and is available starting June 1. Please note, this waiver does not exempt undergraduate students from the mandatory Health Service Fee.
It is very important that you understand what these requirements are so that you can carefully plan and budget for these expenses. As you prepare to attend Tufts University, rather than simply directing you to the link for the state of Massachusetts Student Health Insurance Plan information, we are highlighting in this letter the minimum requirements of plans that will be accepted as well as what specific benefit levels would be excluded from coverage.
Please carefully review this checklist:
• My plan must have a valid US address. International policies cannot be accepted, according to state requirements.
• My plan provides and maintains coverage for the full academic year, as well as evacuation and repatriation benefits.
• My plan must provide reasonably comprehensive coverage of health services, including primary care, emergency services,
surgical services, hospitalization benefits, ambulatory patient services, and mental health services, and these services must be reasonably accessible to me in the area where I am attending school.
• My plan must provide unlimited coverage for prescriptions for the academic years.
• My plan does not limit coverage for a pre-existing condition.
• My plan does not impose an annual or lifetime limit for essential health benefits.
• I understand that a health insurance plan that provides coverage through a closed network of providers, not reasonably accessible to me in the area where I attend school, for all but emergency services does not qualify for a waiver. Examples of closed networks include students enrolled in MassHealth Limited or the Children's Medical Security Program or the Health Safety Net, Kaiser Permanente Insurance and out of state Medicaid programs.