Residence Halls

Who Lives Where?

Our residential model is specifically designed to ensure developmentally appropriate housing options for our students based on their class year. This also aids in the formation of community and connection due to shared needs and experiences inherent in each class year. Housing availability for transfer students is not guaranteed and is dependent upon room availability on campus.

First-Year Communities

Continuing Undergraduate Student Communities

Graduate Student Communities

First-Year Communities

Traditional residence halls, most of which are double loaded corridors with shared/community restrooms on each floor. The majority of rooms are double occupancy, but there are also a fair number of triple occupancy rooms and a small number of single occupancy rooms.

Frequently Asked Questions from New Students

Who is required to live on campus? Who is guaranteed campus housing?

All incoming first year and continuing second year students are required and guaranteed housing. We have a two year housing residency requirement for all undergraduate students, since we place a great deal of focus on the importance of living and learning together. The first and second year experiences at Tufts are intrinsically connected to the residential context, and as such, we believe all students living on campus helps to create a more vibrant community. We are able to accommodate a limited number of continuing juniors and seniors on campus through our lottery process. For those students interested in seeking off campus housing for their junior and/or senior years, we have developed a website to assist students as they navigate the off campus process, and we have staff within ORLL designated to specifically support students with their needs in this regard.

How are first year housing assignments conducted? How are roommates selected?

All incoming students are required to complete a housing application which contains a detailed questionnaire outlining sleeping, studying, and social preferences, interests related to communal living, and other key factors that have been proven to be factors of increased compatibility between students. A matching algorithm is utilized to get the strongest matches between students and we place students with the highest compatibility roommate(s) possible. In that regard, incoming students cannot select their roommates. We have found that using this matching system has significantly reduced roommate conflicts and room change requests during its first year of implementation. In fact, we find proportionally more roommate conflicts with our continuing students (who select their own roommates) than we do with our new students (who we match using the algorithm). It is important to note that we match based on living compatibility (how well individuals may share the same space together as roommates) rather than based on social or friendship compatibility (how well you might become friends on a personal level with your roommate). In fact, we often find that best friends do not make the best roommates, so we place a priority on finding roommates who share common living preferences.

I’m an incoming first year or transfer student and I would like to change my housing assignment and/or roommates, or the building to which I was assigned. How can I go about that?

Moving to college is certainly a big transition, and we understand that there may be some level of anxiety related to roommate assignments, specifically how to live with another person, how they will respect/take care for the space, and other general living factors. We take great care in matching students with potential roommates based on key factors from the housing questionnaire, taking into account what each student noted as their preferred level of cleanliness, feelings about use of the room, bed/sleep times, and gender inclusivity. Once we match roommates together, we recommend taking some time to connect, learn about each other, and talk a bit about your plans and expectations moving into the semester. Your Resident Assistant (RA) and Residential Life Coordinator (RLC) will be great resources on the ground to help navigate any conflicts that may arise, but we anticipate that communication in advance will greatly reduce any issues once you arrive. We are excited to have a completely full residential community, and in working to house over 1,600 new students, we are unfortunately unable to fulfill requests for a specific room types or buildings. We do, however, take great care to place students with roommates with whom they are highly compatible via the housing questionnaire (on living compatibility factors), and we anticipate you enjoying your time this year in your building. However, if after a couple of weeks you still feel that you might want to explore a different room type, we’d encourage you to speak with your RA and begin the room change request process. Again, since we are so full in our housing spaces, it may not be possible to grant any move but we can certainly explore it with you at that time.

Who are the people in the residential community who can help if I need anything?

Each community has a Resident Assistant (RA) or House Manager (HM) who are able to support residents with a variety of needs. RAs specifically are trained to support students in crisis, act as referral agents, develop a strong sense of connection in the halls, and help students get connected to the greater Tufts community. All of our student staff can help to address facilities/maintenance concerns along with any roommate/community conflicts. Residential Life Coordinators (RLCs) are members of the ORLL professional team who live in the communities and supervise RAs. The RLC is a great resource for additional connection to the campus community and to learn how to be more engaged within the residential neighborhood. In first year neighborhoods, the RLC also advises the Hall Council.

What should I bring to campus? What am I allowed to bring into the residence halls?

An online resource has been developed to help plan what to bring to Tufts, along with a full guide to move in! Health and safety are our top priority, and as such, we need to ensure that our communities are safe. Fire hazards are dangerous in any residential community, so smoking is not permitted in the halls, including joules, vapes, hookah, and e-cigarettes. Candles, incense and appliances or electronics with heated external surfaces (i.e. hot plates, halogen lamps, etc) may cause fire and are not permitted. Our website outlines a list of items that are not permitted in the residence halls.

Am I permitted to have overnight guests?

Guests are permitted in the residence halls and in individual student rooms. Residents must communicate with their roommate(s) and all must agree on allowing access or continued presence of guests in the room space. Our guest policy is outlined on our website.

Are pets allowed in the residence halls?

Fish are permitted in tanks no larger than 10 gallons. Students with emotional support animals must connect with the Student Accessibility and Academic Resource (StAAR) Center to ensure proper approvals prior to bringing any animal to campus.

If I have a diagnosed disability that requires an accommodation in order for me to access my residential space, how should I arrange proper housing?

The Student Accessibility and Academic Resource (StAAR) Center manages all accommodations, both academic and otherwise, for students with documented disabilities. You should visit the StAAR website for more details. However, the deadline for requesting specific housing accommodations as they relate to disability needs was June 12, at this point in time it is important to note that it is difficult to provide specific housing accommodations due to the fact that housing assignments had been made. Students may still register with StAAR, but may be placed on a housing accommodation waitlist. Students who are concerned with sharing a space with another individual should reach out to their assigned roommate, discuss their living needs and hopes, and begin to develop a relationship. Staff in the Office of Residential Life and Learning are available to assist in these conversations and are available as resources to students as needed.  

How can I get involved in my residential community?

Your RA can be a great resource to help get you connected within your building and neighborhood. For first year students, Hall Council is an exciting way to directly have an impact on your peers through social programming and events in your community. Hall Councils are student organizations within each first year residence hall that help create unity, excitement, and fun events for the community. Elections for officer positions take place in mid-September, and general body members (no election necessary) can join at any time. For more information, students should contact their RLC.

I’ve heard Boston can be hot at the beginning of the academic year. What can I do about the heat in my room during the first few weeks?

Boston can be hot in early September, but many students find relief in the residence halls (which are not air-conditioned) by using fans, opening doors to common areas, and closing their shades. We also encourage you to spend time in air-conditioned spaces on campus, including the Mayer Campus Center and Tisch Library.

In addition to using the strategies above, students who have a documented disability requiring an accommodation related to high temperatures may request an official Housing Accommodation through the StAAR Center. Please note that, for new students, all documentation submissions and meetings with StAAR staff for Housing Accommodations should be completed by June 20, 2019. Late submissions will be considered in the event of exigent circumstances.

Are there any resources available if my roommate and I need help cohabitating?

We carefully assign roommates according to living compatibility (how well individuals will be able to share a space based on their habits and preferences: early risers vs. night owls, for example). But even the most compatible roommates often have to make adjustments and agree to compromises when they are first learning to live together. At Tufts, we facilitate this process using a Roommate Agreement Form, which each room will fill out together during their first week at Tufts with the help of their RA. This Agreement briefly outlines guidelines each roommate will use to help ensure their space remains a place where all occupants can live and study comfortably. An Agreement might include an agreed-upon quiet hour or guidelines for the use of space, and it can include anything that all roommates agree will help them cohabitate. Each roommate can ask their RA to help update the Roommate Agreement at any time during the year.

In the unlikely event that roommates reach an impasse related to their room or living situation, an RA or other Residential Life staff member can help facilitate a conversation and develop a solution. In some cases, students may also be able to switch rooms or roommates, depending on availability. For more information, see the “Roommate Relationships” tab on our Housing Guidelines and Policies webpage.

How do I keep my room free of dust, scents, and certain foods?

Talking to your roommate in advance is the best way to keep your room free of dust, scents, and certain foods. We also recommend writing any strong requests or preferences into your Roommate Agreement Form (see the question above about resources for cohabiting). Air filters and humidifiers, along with an agreed-upon cleaning schedule, can also be helpful. Please note that Tufts does not provide services for cleaning student rooms.

How do I ensure that I get enough sleep?

Talking to your roommate in advance is the best way to ensure everyone can get adequate rest and sleep. We also recommend writing any strong requests or preferences into your Roommate Agreement Form (see the question above about resources for cohabiting). In addition, a white noise machine may be helpful for some roommates.

How do I study in a triple?

Talking to your roommate in advance is the best way to ensure everyone can get adequate space and quiet for studying and other academic work. We also recommend writing any strong requests or preferences into your Roommate Agreement Form (see the question above about resources for cohabiting). In addition, many students find that they prefer to study in designated quiet spaces, including common spaces in their residence hall and the library.

Continuing Undergraduate Student Communities 

Spaces for undergraduates that are not first-year buildings.

Traditional Residence Halls – Sophomores, Juniors, Seniors

Apartment Style – Sophomore, Junior, Senior


Woodframe/Small (no theme) – all continuing class years


Woodframe/Small Houses (theme housing) – all continuing class years


Woodframe/Small (fraternity/sorority housing) – juniors and seniors only

  • Kappa Alpha Theta (25 Whitfield Rd) -- More information coming soon!
  • Alpha Phi (14 Sawyer Ave) -- More information coming soon!
  • Chi Omega (106 Professors Row) -- More information coming soon!
  • Theta Chi (100 Packard Ave) -- More information coming soon!
  • Zeta Beta Tau (126 Packard Ave) -- More information coming soon!

Graduate Student Communities

  • McCollester House
  • Tousey House
  • 159 College Ave -- More information coming soon!
  • 122 Powderhouse Blvd -- More information coming soon!
  • 126 Powderhouse Blvd -- More information coming soon!
  • 11 Teele Street -- More information coming soon!