First-Gen Collective at Tufts
Tufts F1RST is a student-led initiative by the First-Gen Collective at Tufts to unite and champion pride within the Tufts first-generation community.
First-Gen Collective at Tufts was founded to create a community of support and to develop a network of resources for Tufts University's first-gen population. First-Gen Collective welcomes any student who self-identifies with the first-gen college student experience. By strengthening the bonds between our community members and bridging the gap between Tufts resources and first-gen students, First-Gen Collective aims to ensure that first-gen students are empowered in reaching their full social, professional, and academic potential. First-Gen Collective celebrates the first-gen identity and passionately advocates for the trailblazers among us who are the first in their families to attend a private institution like Tufts.
Programming for Students
First-Gen Collective hosts meetings and programs throughout the academic year.
Some signature programs include:
- Workshops to support first-gen students in achieving their academic and personal goals
- Welcome Panel during Orientation week that features sophomore, junior, and senior students who share their experiences as first-gen students at Tufts and resources they have utilized to enhance their success
- Opportunities for community building through bonding exercises, group discussions, and biweekly hangouts with food, music, and games
- Fall and Spring Semester Dinners, where students can share a meal and connect with the first-gen community
- I Am First photo campaign, where students share what being first-gen at Tufts means to them
- The Annual First Gen Summit at Mount Holyoke
There are many opportunities throughout the year for students to attend conferences and events away from campus. Those opportunities will be presented through the First-Gen Collective at Tufts and through an email listserv of self-identified first-gen students. To join the listserv, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
First-Gen Collective President
Hi everyone! My name is Harley, and I am a part of the class of 2023 majoring in Psychology. I'm from Nanticoke, PA (near Scranton, if you watch The Office). At Tufts, I am a part of United for Immigrant Justice, First-Gen Collective, the QuestBridge Chapter, and BLAST Cohort 8. In my free time, I enjoy reading, writing, and baking heart-shaped cakes for each of my friend's birthdays. If you have any questions or just want to get to know me better, feel free to email me at email@example.com!