Orientation Programs and Calendar
The dates for Undergraduate Orientation 2023 are August 30–September 4, 2023. Undergraduate Orientation is mandatory for all new students, including new transfer students. The schedule for Undergraduate Orientation is developed over the summer and released as plans are confirmed. For your information, and to get an idea of what happens during Orientation, you may view last year's 2022 Orientation booklet calendar which can be found by clicking on the button below. Note: this is last year's calendar and all events and programs are subject to change for the coming year.
Tufts also offers eight optional Pre-Orientation programs, which take place prior to Undergraduate Orientation. Registration for these programs will open on June 1, 2023 when the New Student Checklist opens for the Fall 2023 incoming class.
What Students Need to Know Now / New Student Checklist
Incoming new students for fall 2023 will be introduced to the New Student Checklist on June 1, 2023. There is nothing to do regarding summer requirements and Undergraduate Orientation until June 1, 2023. The New Student Checklist will guide new students through the summer and detail out several requirements they must complete prior to arrival. In addition, over the summer incoming students may access a full listing of academic requirements and information sessions through Academic Essentials on Canvas which will conclude with choosing fall courses towards the end of August, prior to arrival. All necessary access for summer 2023 will begin with the opening of the New Student Checklist on June 1, 2023. The Undergraduate Orientation team will also be in regular contact with new students and families throughout the summer in preparation for Fall 2023. Below you will find archived messages and webinar videos from summer 2022. Please note information is subject to change for the coming year. Please refer to this website for updated information. If you have questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Students participating in a Pre-Orientation program will arrive and move-in on the start date of the specific program they are participating in. For students residing on the Medford campus, arrival/check-in time will be 9 am – 3 pm at the Joyce Cummings Center, 177 College Ave, Medford, MA. For BFA students living in Boston, arrival/check-in time will be 9 am – 3 pm at 230 Fenway, Boston MA. Students will need to check-in first prior to moving into residence hall rooms. Check out Tufts Pre-Orientation for details and information on program arrival dates.
Students not participating in a Pre-Orientation program will arrive and move-in on Wednesday, August 30, 2023. For students residing on the Medford campus, arrival/check-in time will be 8 am – 12 pm at the Joyce Cummings Center, 177 College Ave, Medford, MA. For BFA students living in Boston, arrival/check-in time will be 8 am – 11 am at 230 Fenway, Boston MA. Students will need to check-in first prior to moving into residence hall rooms.
We will welcome parents and families on Wednesday, August 30, 2023 for the annual Matriculation Ceremony and other parent/family programming. The students' Undergraduate Orientation program begins at 4:30 pm on August 30, which is when all parents/families should plan to depart campus. Please refer to the Office of Residential Life and Learning for updated arrival information.
NOTE: Parents and families coming for Pre-Orientation arrival/move-in are welcome to come back to campus on Wednesday, August 30, 2023 to participate in the day’s activities, but are not required to. The Matriculation Ceremony will be live streamed and recorded for later viewing.
For your information, and to get an idea of what happens on opening day, please see last year's Fall 2022 Arrival/Matriculation Day schedule for parents and families.
NOTE: All dates and information posted above are subject to change as plans develop for Undergraduate Orientation 2023. This website will be updated regularly as dates and programs are confirmed.
Informational Webinars for New Students
During the summer the Undergraduate Orientation Office will present several informational webinars for students, parents and families. The schedule will be posted later in Spring 2023. In addition weekly informational emails are sent to students and periodically to parents and families throughout the summer. For your information past emails and recordings of past webinars from summer 2022 are archived below. Please note, information from last year is subject to change for the coming year.
Summer 2022 Communications Archive
- May 10, 2022 Welcome to the Herd, Jumbos!
- May 11, 2022 Welcome, Parents and Families!
- May 17, 2022 Health Insurance Waiver Process and Tuition Insurance
- May 24, 2022 Explore the Tufts Community
- June 1, 2022 Check Out Your Checklist!
- June 7, 2022 Explore Academic Life, Advising, and Support
- June 14, 2022 Services and Confidential Support
- June 21, 2022 The Registrar and Financial Services at Tufts
- June 22, 2022 Reminders from Health and Wellness
- June 28, 2022 Meet the Division of Student Diversity and Inclusion
- June 29, 2022 Welcome from Counseling and Mental Health Services
- July 1, 2022 Family Conversations about the Transition to College
- July 5, 2022 Meet the University Chaplaincy
- July 6, 2022 Protect Your Investment with Optional Tuition Insurance
- July 12, 2022 Find Resources Through the Career Center
- July 18, 2022 Academic Integrity Tutorial
- July 19, 2022 Explore the Student Affairs Office
- July 20, 2022 Get Your Fall 2022 MBTA Semester Pass
- July 26, 2022 Explore Accessibility and Academic Resources
- July 27, 2022 Undergraduate Orientation and Checklist Updates
- August 2, 2022 Tufts Global Education
- August 3, 2022 Final Details and Reminders for Parents and Families
- August 3, 2022 Office of Equal Opportunity Mandatory Training
- August 9, 2022 Sustainability at Tufts
- August 10, 2022 Academic Advising Resources for Parents and Families Update
- August 10, 2022 Fall 2022 COVID Protocols for Students
- August 15, 2022 Transitioning to college and mental health
- August 16, 2022 Class of 2026 Welcome from TCU President
- August 24, 2022 Register for Language Proficiency Evaluation by September 6
- June 1, 2022 New Student Checklist
- June 2, 2022 New Parents and Families
- June 9, 2022 Managing Your Health and Wellness as a Student at Tufts
- July 7, 2022 Residential Life – NOTE: Students will receive their housing assignments via email the week of July 18.
- July 19, 2022 Supporting Your Student Through Their Pre-Health Journey (Parents)
- July 26, 2022 Preparing for Your Pre-Health Journey at Tufts and Beyond (Students)
- August 4, 2022 Love & Boundaries
- August 9, 2022 Financial Aid & Student Employment
- August 17, 2022 Meet the Advising Deans for Parents and Families – As mentioned in the webinar, more information about the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) can be found on the Registrar's website.
- August 23, 2022 SMFA Parents and Families Welcome