Transportation & Travel for Student Organizations

Student Organizations traveling for Tufts University business must complete the Event Registration Form on JumboLife by selecting “Student Organization Travel” and completing all required fields. This form is required for any student organization, whether they are TCU funded or not, for any off-campus travel including local travel.  Student organizations traveling on behalf of campus departments should also complete the registration form (excluding club sports or varsity athletic teams). Student Organizations using their organization funding for travel should work directly with the Campus Life Financial Office in room 213 of the Mayer Campus Center to book all travel needs (hotel, flights, local/ground transportation, meals, buses, etc.) once the event registration form has been approved.

Traveling Inside and Outside the US

Student Organizations seeking to travel domestically or internationally should first begin by meeting with the Business Manager in the Campus Life Financial Office. All travel on behalf of a University student organization must go through proper approvals prior to any travel arrangements being made. Students will not be reimbursed for travel expenses without prior approval. Funds must also be available and approved prior to any travel plans being arranged. In addition the Campus Life Financial Office will not proceed with assisting with planning and arrangements until the Student Organization Travel Event Registration Form is approved in JumboLife.  Prior to meeting with the Business Manager in the Camps Life Financial Office please have all information, dates, times etc. ready.  In addition, students seeking to travel to conferences or other events with attendance fees, those fees must be previously approved and confirmed prior to any travel arrangements being made.

Student Organization Travel Outside the US

Local Travel and Transportation

University Vehicles

Limited student organizations and departments have their own University designated vehicles. These vehicles are managed by the specific student organization/department and are for the business of those organizations/departments only. These vehicles are not available to rent for the general student organization. Current student organizations with vehicles include TMC (Tufts Mountain Club), LCS (Leonard Carmichael Society) and Project SHARE. Questions and inquiries from members of these organizations on driver access and approval should begin with the leadership (van manager) of the student organization and then the Office for Campus Life. Driver requests for these vehicles from these student organizations will all go through a University approval process by way of the Office for Campus Life. Students are not permitted to drive a University vehicle until approved. All approved drivers must adhere to the Vehicle Fleet Policy and have completed the Student Driver Approval Process. Note: Club Sports also has access to University transportation through the Athletics Department. This process is closed to Club Sports and questions should be directed to the Club Sports manager in Athletics.

Outside Company Vehicle Rental and Bus Rental

Student Organizations with budget approval, either through a representing Campus Department or the TCU Treasury may also reserve vehicles from rental companies. Student Organizations seeking information on how to do this should make an appointment with the Campus Life Financial Office in Room 213 of the Mayer Campus Center. Campus Life Financial Office staff will work individually with group members based on their needs. Once an option (van rental, bus rental, ride share, zip car etc.)  is decided on the TCU funded Student Organization must complete a TCU Credit Card Application Form and have the TCU Treasury sign off on the form. Non-funded student organizations seeking this service must have approval and Department ID number from the sponsoring campus department before a reservation can be made.

Full insurance including collision, driver and third party is required when renting a vehicle. All drivers must adhere to the University Travel/Driver Policy and have on file a completed and approved Student Driver Application. To complete the Student Driver Approval Process, please contact

GoBuses offers Tufts University a 12% discount on their online fares. Offers transportation from Alewife Station (close to Medford campus) to New York City and beyond.

Privately-Owned Vehicles/Insurance Coverage

The university does NOT provide insurance coverage or indemnification for any accident or mishap involving students, their passengers, or any third party stemming from the use of privately-owned vehicles, even when they are used in connection with Tufts sponsored programs and activities. The driver (and/or the owner) of the private vehicle is wholly responsible for any litigation, financial exposure, or other repercussions that may result from its use. Additionally, passengers should realize that they are not covered by any university indemnification program or policy. For this reason, the university does not approve student organizations to use personal vehicles for university sponsored travel.

Public Transportation Services

Charlie Cards are available for funded student organizations to purchase in bulk. Bulk purchases for student organizations must first be approved by the TCU Treasury through a Inter-Departmental Requisition (IDR). Once approved, tickets are available for pick up in the Office for Campus Life.

Individual Student Transportation Needs

Discounted Charlie Cards are available for purchase at the Mayer Campus Center Information Booth. There are also MBTA semester passes available for students and can be purchased on SIS.

ZipCar has vehicles parked on campus for easy student access. Students under the age of 21 may rent Zip Car, however, there are additional insurance forms and waivers that would need to be completed. Please refer to the Zipcar at Tufts webpage for information.