Apply and Reapply for Aid: Graduate Students

Most scholarships, fellowships, and research or teaching assistantships are administered through the dean’s office of your school. Application for these sources of aid is made to the Office of the Dean of your school at Tufts. If such aid is offered, you will be notified by your school shortly after you are accepted, or at a later date for continuing students. If you have questions about the forms for financial aid, contact the Dean’s Office in your graduate school.

These forms and procedures apply to graduate students at Fletcher, Graduate A&S, Graduate Engineering, Post-Bac Premed, GMAP, Gordon Institute, and Certificate Programs. Please do not submit federal or state income tax returns to Tufts. They are not required and will be shredded upon receipt.

Award Notification

Decisions for new student applicants are made for a full academic year on a rolling basis beginning in March. Most decisions for returning applicants are made by late July for the academic year. 

Most graduate students who qualify for federal financial aid will receive up to $20,500 per academic year in the Federal Unsubsidized Stafford Loan. Students can also apply for the Federal Graduate PLUS Loan or the private student loans to cover costs not covered by scholarships and/or the Federal Unsubsidized Stafford Loan.

All Financial Aid Award notices are sent electronically to your email address on file at Tufts. 

Required Documents


You are encouraged to complete your FAFSA as early as possible in order to allow provisional credits to be reflected on your bill, which is mailed the first week in July.


If you are selected for verification by the Federal government (indicated on your Student Aid Report (SAR) which you receive after submitting your FAFSA), you will need to log into your FAFSA and use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (if you have not done so already). If you cannot use the IRS DRT, you will need to submit a copy of your submitted and signed 2017 federal tax return. You must also submit an Independent Student Verification Form. Any aid awarded is tentative, and no loans can be disbursed, until the verification process is completed.


If you are not a U.S. citizen, but are a permanent resident, you must submit a copy of both sides of your alien registration card to Student Financial Services. If you receive a notification from the government on your paper or electronic Student Aid Report (SAR) that they were unable to confirm your citizenship, you must submit proof of citizenship (such as a copy of a U.S. passport, U.S. birth certificate, or copy of Naturalization) to Student Financial Services. If you are a returning student, you do not need to submit this information unless you have not done so in the past.

Selective Service

If you received a notation from the government on your paper or electronic Student Aid Report that they were unable to confirm your registration with Selective Service, you must confirm your status. To do this go to the Selective Service website and follow the directions to “Request a Status Information Letter.”  You must submit a copy of that letter to Student Financial Services, Dowling Hall, Medford, MA 02155. Federal loans cannot be processed until your status confirmation is received at Tufts. If you are a returning student, you do not need to submit this information unless you have not done so in the past.

Federal Requirements

In order to obtain federal aid, you must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, and you must be making satisfactory progress (determined by individual department). You must also be officially registered on at least a half time basis to receive any federal aid that has been made available to you.

Tufts University provides information regarding your enrollment status to the National Student Loan Data System, which then provides information to lenders. Enrollment status for graduate students is defined as follows:

Enrollment Status Requirements
Full time  Nine (9) or more semester hours (SHUs), or six (6) semester hours with a teaching or research assistantship, or registration as a full-time continuing student (402/502), working on a thesis, dissertation project or internship
Half time Five (5) semester hours (SHUs) or two (2) semester hours and a teaching or research assistantship
Part time Less than five (5) semester hours (SHUs) or registration as a part-time continuing student (401/501)

It is your responsibility to make sure you register accordingly each semester. Federal regulations require that you are officially enrolled half-time or full-time in order to receive or defer federal student loans.

Additional Information

Learn more about Application Documents.

In Tufts' Student Information System (SIS), you can:

  • View current account balances
  • View your financial aid, loans, and awards
  • Request refunds
  • Manage your meal plans
  • Keep track of important financial documents
  • Link to Jumbo Cash
  • Complete health insurance waivers and Title IV authorization

Log into SIS at with your Tufts username and password. Visit Tufts Tools if you need assistance with your username.

Contact Us