Student Employment

Students are responsible for applying for and securing a work study or non-work study position on campus. Both work study and non-work study positions are posted on Handshake throughout the year.

Log In to Handshake

Fletcher students should visit Fletcher CORE for listings.* Students are eligible for work study positions if they see a federal or Tufts work study award on their financial aid award letter. If students did not apply for financial aid or they do not have a work study award on their award letter, they are eligible to apply to non-work study positions on campus. More details about work study can be found on our FAQs page.

*Fletcher students can access positions posted to Handshake on Fletcher CORE after they are cross-posted by your Career Center. Dental School students will not be able to access Handshake and should check newsletters and on bulletin boards on campus for open positions.

Looking for childcare/babysitting positions?

You can see current listings and find families you’d like to babysit by search our childcare job postings.

View Childcare Job Postings

Applying for Jobs

Student jobs are posted on Handshake (and cross-posted on Fletcher CORE for Fletcher students). When searching for positions, filter for “Work Study” to find all on- and off-campus work study positions, filter by “On-Campus” for both work study and non-work study on-campus positions, and filer by “Work Study” and “On-Campus” to find work study eligible positions on campus. Most positions will have you submit application materials through Handshake, and some will have you email or complete a separate application. Follow all application instructions, and get help as needed with resumes and cover letters from the Career Center.

Interviewing for and Securing a Job

After you’ve applied, employers that are interested in interviewing you will be in touch to schedule a time to meet. It is generally advisable for students to dress up to some extent, but you likely won’t need to wear a suit. Most students will wear slacks, dark jeans, or a skirt with a button-down shirt, blouse, or sweater to a work study job interview. After your interview, your interviewer will let you know whether or not they will offer you a position. Keep applying and interviewing until you find a position.

Hiring Paperwork

After you’ve secured a position, your supervisor will enter your job into the Tufts payroll system. Next, Tufts Support Services (TSS) will email you asking you to update your personal information in eServe, our employee system, to complete the first part of your I-9 US employment authorization. After you do this, you will need to physically go to the TSS office (169 Holland St. in Somerville for Medford campus students) to show them an original US passport, US permanent resident (green) card, or a combination of a state-issued ID AND social security card. You must complete this paperwork before beginning work, and you cannot be paid without completing your I-9. You will also set your direct deposit information in eServe. This allows your pay to be deposited into your personal bank account, and it is required for all Tufts employees.

Starting Work

Once you’ve completed your I-9 employment authorization with Tufts Support Services, you can begin working. Your supervisor will enter your hours each week and you will be paid on Fridays for hours worked the previous week (Ex. You are paid for hours worked during the first week of the month on the second Friday of the month). Most student’s first paycheck will be a paper paycheck, and you will receive an email with information to come pick it up at Tufts Support Services (169 Holland St. in Somerville) on Friday afternoon. After the first check, your pay will be direct deposited if you have set up direct deposit on eServe. If you have questions about your pay, you should first speak with your supervisor. Always talk to your supervisor in advance if you have any scheduling issues or other conflicts at work.

Work Study Usage

If you would like to monitor your work study usage, you can log into SIS and click the Financial Aid tab. Click Awards and Documents and you’ll be redirected online. Choose the current school year in the top right-hand corner, then use the menu button in the top left-hand corner to navigate to Student Employment. This will show your work study award and current amount earned through work study pay.

You can always view your pay stubs on eServe to review your pay. If you have questions about your hours you should speak to your supervisor, and if you have questions about taxes or withholdings you should contact TSS (617-627-7000).

International Students

International students studying in the US on a student visa may be eligible for on-campus employment only. Please be in touch with the International Center with any questions regarding your work authorization and taxation. The International Center has tax preparation software you can use to file taxes if you are required to.