Undergraduate and graduate students may cross-register within the University or at other institutions with appropriate approvals. The schools with which we have consortium agreements are Boston College, Boston University, and Brandeis. Graduate students may cross-register at MIT for the Consortium for Graduate Studies in Gender, Culture, Women, and Sexuality. Undergraduate students may cross-register at the New England Conservatory of Music. SMFA at Tufts undergraduate students may cross-register through the ProArts Consortium. Cross-registration at Harvard is only available to Fletcher students.
To qualify, you must be enrolled in a degree program as a full-time student. You must take the course for credit and you may not take it for a Pass/Fail grade (ProArts courses excluded). You must abide by all deadlines of the host institution or school, and all requirements of the cross-registered class, including attendance.
Notice for Fall 2021 and Spring 2022 Pro-Arts Cross-Registration: The Pro-Arts Cross-Registration program for the 2021-22 academic year will not be running for Tufts students.
Cross-Registration within Tufts University
To cross-register at another Tufts school (e.g. Nutrition or Fletcher), log into SIS. Go to the “Classes” dropdown, select “Cross Registration,” and enter your request.
Cross-Registration at a Consortium School
To cross-register at one of the consortium schools, complete the Petition for Cross-Registration at Consortium Schools. Obtain the instructor’s signature and the host registrar’s signature. Return a copy of the signed form electronically to Student Services via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cross-Registration through the ProArts Consortium
The Professional Arts Consortium (ProArts) is an association of seven neighboring Boston institutions of higher education dedicated to the visual and performing arts. Its members are Berklee College of Music, the Boston Architectural College, the Boston Conservatory, Emerson College, the New England Conservatory, the Massachusetts College of Art and Design, and the School of the Museum of Fine Arts at Tufts University.
ProArts courses are only available to undergraduate SMFA at Tufts students. These courses are taken on a credit/no credit basis. Students may take the equivalent of 4 Tufts credits (SHU’s) in any given semester.
Please note this program is not available for Tufts students during the 2021-22 academic year.
- Courses will appear on your Tufts transcript after the semester begins. If you cross-register at a consortium school, your grades will be forwarded to Tufts by the host institution at the conclusion of the semester.
- Undergraduate students (excluding those in the combined MPH and MALD programs) are limited to one cross-registered course in a single full-time semester. You must get permission from your Advising Dean to cross-register for more than one course.
- Graduate students may take two courses in a single semester at the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy and the Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy (or one course at another Tufts school and one course at a consortium school).
- Students may only cross-register for one course a semester at a consortium school.
- You may not cross-register during the summer semesters.
- If you want to drop or withdraw from a cross-registered course, you must follow the procedures and deadlines of the host institution. Failure to drop the course properly may result in a negative notation on your transcript. After taking the appropriate steps, check your SIS record to be sure the change has been recorded.