Declare a Major or Minor
As an undergraduate in the School of Arts and Sciences, pursuing a BA or BS degree, you should declare a major by March 1 of your sophomore year at Tufts. As an Engineering undergraduate, you are required to declare a major by February 15 of your first year at Tufts.
Minors are optional and not all departments and interdisciplinary programs have minors, so you should consult department websites for additional information. A student may have any number of minors.
Please note that students may not complete a major and a minor, or two majors, or two minors, from the same department or program unless the department or program explicitly permits it.
Declare a Major or Minor
To declare a major or minor, complete the applicable declaration of major and minor form.
- Arts and Sciences Student's Primary Major Declaration
- Engineering Primary Major Declaration
- Declare an Additional Major (Both Arts, Sciences, and Engineering)
- Add a Minor (Both Arts, Sciences, and Engineering)
Note: Some minors require a minor advisor, so be sure to check with the department.
Change Your Major, Minor, or Advisor
If you would like to change your primary major, additional major, or advisor at any point during your time at Tufts, we suggest you consult your current Major Advisor or Advising Dean first (Arts and Sciences BA/BS, Arts and Sciences BFA, or Engineering). (If you are changing Advisors, make sure you also speak with potential new Advisors in advance.) Once you’ve spoken with the appropriate staff and/or faculty members, complete the applicable forms.
- If you are changing your primary major, use the Arts and Sciences Students Primary Major Declaration form or Engineering Primary Major Declaration form to drop your current primary major and declare a different primary major.
- If you are changing an additional major, use the Drop a Major or Minor form and then the Declare an Additional Major form. (You may also simply drop an additional major without declaring a new one.)
- If you are changing a minor, use the Drop a Major or Minor form and then the Add a Minor form. (You may also simply drop a minor without declaring a new one.)
- If you are changing your Advisor, use the Request to Change Advisor for Arts and Sciences (BA/BS) Students form or Request to Change Undergraduate Engineering Primary Major Advisor form.
Make an Advisor Appointment
As a Tufts student, you are supported by a strong advising team. This network expands even further once you choose an advisor and a major. There are several ways to take advantage of your advising team:
|What They Help With
|How to Contact
Pre-Major or Major Advisor
Course selection, major exploration, discussion and development of intellectual interests, referral to university resources
|Directly via email, phone, or department
|Senior Academic Advisor (Arts and Sciences BA/BS or Engineering)
|Course selection, campus life questions, major exploration or comparison, policy questions, university resource questions
|Advising Dean (Arts and Sciences BA/BS or Engineering)
|All of the above plus academic difficulty, extended absences or leaves, petitions for policy exceptions, residency requirements, fulfilling degree requirements
All graduate students are assigned academic advisers and thesis or dissertation advisers by your department. The faculty director of your graduate certificate program serves as the advisor for participating students. Please contact your department or advisor directly to make an appointment.