Reserving Courses for Graduate Degrees

Students in both the School of Arts and Sciences and the School of Engineering may reserve courses toward a graduate degree. These courses are not calculated into your GPA and cannot be used to satisfy any undergraduate degree requirements, including:

  • The minimum number of credits you need to graduate
  • Major and minor requirements
  • Foundation and distribution requirements

All course reservation forms should be submitted when you turn in your graduation packet. No form submissions or changes will be accepted after May 1. If you plan to use your reserved courses towards a Tufts graduate program, you will need to submit a request for transfer of credit for the courses to be approved to be used towards your graduate degree program. Students enrolling in a Tufts graduate program in the School of Engineering are allowed to transfer up to two reserved courses toward their graduate degree.

Reserve Courses: Liberal Arts or Engineering


GSAS and SOE Fifth-Year Master's Programs

Tufts Graduate School of Arts and Sciences (GSAS) and School of Engineering Fifth-Year Master's Programs allow Tufts students to earn both their bachelor's degree and their master's degree in as little as five years. This rewarding track is an ideal fit for Tufts undergraduates in rigorous, innovative programming. Students in these programs are required to complete the undergraduate degree requirements and graduate before moving into the master's portion of their program. Students who do not receive their bachelor's degree by August of their senior year must continue to enroll as an undergraduate and pay undergraduate tuition.

International students: International students will receive a new Change of Education Level (COL) Form I-20 for the master’s degree.


Fifth-Year Master's Student Forms

Students enrolled in most Tufts Fifth-Year Master's programs or a BA-BS/MPH combined degree program are allowed to apply up to two courses toward both the bachelor’s and master’s degrees, in addition to reserving courses for the graduate degree. Shared courses can be used to satisfy both undergraduate and graduate degree requirements. The option to share courses will vary between programs and students are encouraged to reach out to the program’s department with questions.

Students in the School of Arts and Sciences and the School of Engineering must complete the GSAS and SOE Fifth-Year Master's Course Distribution Form to submit their chosen shared courses for approval to the Director of Graduate Studies. Students in the BS/MS, BS/MA, and BA/MA programs must complete this form before the add deadline in the second semester of their graduate program.

Share Courses: BS/MS, BA/MA, or BS/MA

Students participating in the BA/MPH and BS/MPH should use the MPH Transcript Reconciliation form to submit their chosen shared or reserved courses.

Reserve/Share Courses: BA/MPH and BS/MPH