Appeal Process: 2023-2024 Overview
All of our financial aid awards for Arts & Sciences and Engineering students are based solely on financial need, as determined by our analysis of family financial resources.
Tufts has a process through which you can report a change in circumstances by submitting Appeal documents. If there has been a significant change in your family’s financial situation, or if you believe there are special circumstances or new information that should be considered, you can submit appeal documents for review.
- If 2022 parental income is at least 15% less than 2021 income, Tufts may consider an appeal based upon 2022 income. A more recent change in circumstances, such as a period of unemployment lasting six months or more, or medical expenses over 5% of total income, may also be considered.
- In cases of current year change of financial circumstances, an appeal may not be reviewed until the end of October, and any additional aid will be credited to your spring bill. Your family should plan to pay the fall semester balance in full when due in August.
- We are not able to consider appeals based on circumstances that include, but are not limited to: high consumer debt, personal expenses, monthly living expenses, and changes or expenses that have not yet occurred.
How to Submit an Appeal
These documents can be submitted as part of your 2023-2024 aid application in May along with the required IDOC submission, or to request reconsideration of your 2023-2024 aid package after you receive the award letter. We begin emailing award notifications to currently enrolled students at the end of June.
To initiate an appeal, please submit the following items:
- A completed Appeal Form, a detailed explanation letter, and any supporting documents that would be helpful in clarifying the situation, should submitted to IDOC. Emailed forms will not be accepted.
- A complete copy of 2022 Parent Federal Income Tax Returns and W-2s, including all schedules, statements, and attachments, and if applicable, federal business returns. These items must be submitted to IDOC. Tax documents submitted by email will not be accepted.
After the Appeal Form, supporting documents, and tax returns have been received, they will be reviewed by the Financial Aid Committee.
If the Appeal documents are received in time, they may be considered during the awarding process. If they are received after the 2023-2024 financial aid decision notification has been sent to you, the review will begin as soon as all documentation has been received, and a decision will be returned within 7-10 business days. Current year changes may not be reviewed until the end of October.
If you would like to discuss a financial aid grievance, follow these steps:
- Contact your financial aid counselor
- Contact the Director of Financial Aid
- Contact the Dean of Student Services